Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Help out the old fart please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Coinhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Help out the old fart please!

Just got my 96 Blazer back from my nephew who had been driving it for the past 5 years. I had to tow it home because he parked it when it wouldn't start. After cleaning a year's worth of dirt mold mildew and other assorted crap out of the engine compartment and giving it a real good bath it looks decent again. Now I am ready to tackle the non starting problem.

The doggone thing won't crank. I have a good battery in it, checked the fusible links, checked power to the alternator, checked the links there, couldn't figure out which one of the relays on the firewall was the starter one. There is 3 of them stuck together back there and hard for me to reach. Which one is it, anybody know? By the way which is right and left on a vehicle? I haven't been able to check the wiring at the starter/solenoid as I haven't got the thing jacked up and on stands. I have crawled under it and could see the wires but no way to reach them. I think I can reach the terminals through the wheel well but not sure, can I or is taking off the wheel wasted time? Nephew said he had some dude check it and there was a broken wire going to the starter. I am sure if that is the case I can repair that myself but I need some help here. How many wires should I have going to the starter and solenoid and will there be any wires that connect between the two of them? Has anybody got any pictures of what it should look like down there? Any time I can see something for reference helps this old man tremendously. Last question is electrical so I will post it there. Thanks in advance for any help and advice because it is all welcome and appreciated.