Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

How can I tell if someone rebuilt my bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough
Default How can I tell if someone rebuilt my bottom end

Hey guys I have the v8 for my blazer , and I tore the heads off and realized that it's bored 0.40 . Now I'm going to order a rebuild kit to freshen it up new rings bearings and gaskets , but I 'm not sure if the bottom end is going to be stock . This engine is beautiful inside though I can't wait to get it put together and get it in my blazer . 302 ford engine tranmission and transfer case in a 94 s10 blazer mud truck . Thanks for any help you can offer .

Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Ford motor in a Chevy? *sigh*

If the internals are stock, they will have some sort of marking on the rods so the builder could make sure to put them back in the same direction and location as they were before.

That being said, If they bored it .40 over, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to not do the rest of the upgrades.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it's 0.040 over (not 0.40 cause that would be one heck of an overbore), then chances are it was rebuilt. Can you still see the cross hatching in the cylinder bores?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Yea sorry forgot to add a zero , 0.040 is what I have , no visable cross hatch . If the crank was ground would the machine shop mark it some where . I have never had to send a motor to a machine shop , so I don't really understand how they do things . I have rebuilt engines in the past but the were all stock . I have friends that no this stuff but weekdays are just to busy . Swartlkk have You been to broome tioga mud bogs with the red and white blazer . If so I was the guy with the blue s10 .

Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen any markings denoting crank turning on cranks. It is something that you should measure with a micrometer and compare to known values for every journal (main & rod) on the crank.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Yea I feel very silly , to find the bearing sizes I just took the crank and rod bearings out and it says right on them the size they are . Mine has 0.040 pistons 0.020 main bearings and 0.030 rod bearings . My friend stopped over tonight and helped me check it out , he said the pistons are pretty much the best ones you can buy . And the bearings are in great shape but I want to put fresh rings in so I will have to do the bearings . Thanks for your help

Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator

As you found, the bearings themselves should show the difference from standard. I was thinking you were looking for a way to tell if the crank was different without pulling it apart or after a tear down. Didn't even think of the bearings themselves.

Make sure you put some cross-hatching back into the cylinder walls if you are going to re-ring it. It helps bed the rings in for a better seal.