Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

How hard is it replace the seal on a leaking tranny dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Starting Member
MattyMaxus is on a distinguished road
Default How hard is it replace the seal on a leaking tranny dipstick?

I have owned this 1994 S-10 Blazer 4x4 4-door W-type motor, and have loved every minute of it.

I recently had it stop running after I parked it. It would crank and crank, there was plenty of fuel (3/4 tank), but would not fire. I was told it was the fuel pump.

I took it in and the told me it was a fuel pump module (~$440) as opposed to the fuel pump listed at the parts store (~$90 + screen). Just curious if I got robbed.

Otherwise, upon asking if all went well (Work was done today), I was told that it solved the problem, BUT I now have a leaking transmission dip stick which I never had before.

How hard is it to verify this, and if it is true, how hard is it to replace?

Any help in keeping this running would be greatly appreciated, as my girlfriend thinks that this is the beginning of the end for my Blazer.

---mattymaxus

Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If memory serves, there is only an o-ring for the seal. Now the problem comes in pulling the tube out of the transmission. Not terribly bad but you've got to clear all of the interferance.

And $440 to have a shop replace your fuel pump, providing it is an AC Delco pump, is not bad at all.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah i had to do the one on my other blazer. You have to remove the trans cross member and lower it down as far as you can to get to the bolt the holds the dipstick in place. It is towards the top of the bellhousing. Once you get that out you have to try and wrestle the tube up high enough to get the old seal out and the new one in. I couldnt get mine up high enough so i had to take the pan off and cut the tube down a bit. Just dont cut off too much so that it wont go in.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Yes, it's about as close as dropping the transmission in order to get the dipstick out. Even after you get the bolt out, you will still be wresting that tube out. I think I had a person below with a hammer and chisle while I was above pulling with pliars.

I find it hard to believe that the seal is leaking, but it's possible. It doesn't have any pressure behind it. Fluid is only at that level when the vehicle is stopped and the fluid drains down out of the converter.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Starting Member
MattyMaxus is on a distinguished road

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback on both counts. I wanted to be able to trust my mechanic regarding the necessary expense of a fuel pump module as compared to just a fuel pump as well as the oil dipstick leak and how to fix it. I have got my truck back and it runs great, and after I got it home I put cardboard under the truck to absorb any drippings and so far found none, I do not know what he was referring to when he told me of a two foot puddle, maybe someone knocked something over (?). I'll keep my eye on it. Anyway, it is something I can do and save $$$.
Thanks guys.