Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I think it's dieing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road
Default I think it's dieing.

My trans had been missing during the 2-3 shift and I drove it lightly until I could get the funds to fix it, but some new problems have shown up...

Besides the hesitation, if I try to accelerate a bit harder (merging) and it goes into overdrive, it misses completely until I lay off the gas. Also it seems like it has been shifting twice. Once at 25 mph and again at 30 with the same hesitation. Now that there are more symptoms, does it become more blatantly obvious what the problem is? This all started about 4000 miles after a fluid and filter change. I've heard possible loose wires, 2-3 clutch pack, and valve body may be loose.

Cash is tight right now so I'd really like to narrow it down as much as possible before I (a Attempt to do it myself depending on difficulty or (b I take it in and get ripped off. So far I've done everything to this truck besides install the stereo and put on the tires. I'd like to keep it that way as long as I can handle it in the garage.

Thanks for all of your input,
Steve

Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Yeah when you said the shifting at 25 & at 30 & the trans seems to be bi-polar in a sense leads me to think electrical issues. 4000 miles after a fluid & filter change doesn't seem like that would cause any issues, that's a lot of miles. Maybe the throttle position sensor is out of whack. I'm not too familiar with '96's but they should be very similiar. Torque converter locking up prematurally?
Our vehicles main parts rely on sensors to act/respond accordingly. It doesn't sound like a mechanical issue other than the torque converter but that's not as likely as a sensor/s issue.
Wish I could help more.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Thanks man. Any little bit helps. Even if I have to go into a shop, at least I wont sound like an easily ripped off moron. Although I may look like one. I guess a good start would be to have it scanned and see what pops up eh?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member
Scorpious is on a distinguished road

hows your tranny fluid look?

4000m after tranny service or oil?
and post up the codes when you get them, also after the codes are read and you have them writen down get them erased.
ive seen some codes cause "limp mode" type symptoms but thats in manly newer vehicles

Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 AM

I took it in to get scanned and ended up getting it rebuilt. The problem was slipping belt, worn sunshell, 3-4 clutch pack, torque converter...and I think something else. Hopefully I wont have to deal with the trans at all besides a fluid/filter every once in a while now. Cost: $1750