Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

I think my hesitation might be in my trani

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Bad Ramer Jamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I think my hesitation might be in my trani

Ive changed out lots of parts ($$$) trying to get rid of this hesitation. It happens most often when I first take off in the morning. I back out, and then go forward. Right when its getting ready to shift from first to second, I get this big stall. If I give it more gas it starts stumbling. I can almost floor it, and it will shift. Once it shifts, the hesitation is gone. If I feather the throttle around the shift point, its fine. It also does it occasionally when I come out of a store after sitting for awhile, or under normal driving around town. But not near as much as the first time in the morning. Im starting to think its in the trani because its happens only around the 1-2 shift.

Could there be a selonoid in the trani causing this. Im not getting any codes. Is this something that would show up with a scan tool if it was a trani issue. Should I dare run any kind of trani treatment through it. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I think my hesitation might be in my trani

I have had good experiences with Lucas Transfix, but if it is a problem with a band or clutch lining, any additives will only serve as a bandaid... It is worth a try though. I have had it free up stuck check *****/valves as well as clean up stuck solenoids. Problem is, if it cleans things out, then some places may be more prone to pressure leakage inside the transmission which is not good to gear holding ability...

If it is a transmission issue, then to truely diagnose the problem, a Tech2 or equivalent scan tool would be necessary. Typical scan tools cannot access the transmission system for analysis. Nor can they read the transmission codes...

Being that you have a 95... Good luck getting it scanned. This is a mismatch year for the PCMs and a lot of places (outside of dealerships) do not have the proper hookups to test these PCMs.

If you take it to shop for diagnosis, I can almost guarantee you that they will say the transmission needs a complete rebuild. That is just what they do...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Bad Ramer Jamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply Kyle.

Mine has a OBDII test port in it. So far Ive been lucky and not had any problems getting it scanned for engine codes at Advance Auto with thier cheapy scanner.If it did have a trani code, would that neccasarily flash a ses light,,,,or you need the deeper scanner like you mentioned to get to it.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Just check on some of the sometimes overlooked items, does the fluid look good, and smell good? As for the trans codes I think it will only trigger a ses if goes into limp home mode which basically wont let it shift at all. Im not positive on this though, not sure if this existed in 95 its on the late model ones.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It often takes a higher feature scan tool than most autoparts stores have to pull these codes. That being said, all of the codes may not be present in a 95. HERE is a complete list of transmission trouble codes.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member
GregC5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jamer,
Did you ever figure out what was causing the hesitation? My blazer developed a problem the other day with the same symptoms, so I'm hoping it was nothing too major. Haven't been able to get it scanned yet, but I will try to get that done this weekend. Thanks.