Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ignition switch? very confused

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Beginning Member
zr2kore is on a distinguished road
Default ignition switch? very confused

sorry for the lengthy post in advance.

so it all started out when i noticed it was getting harder and harder to start in cold weather. i would have to prime it a few times to get it to go, and then it got to the point to no matter how much i primed it just wouldn't fire. i killed my battery probably 4 times last week trying to start it. I assumed this was due to a crappy ebay fuel pump i put in it so i changed it out with a delphi pump. next morning same issue. which sucked but whatever it was only a matter of time before that crappy one stopped working anyways, i'd been wanting to change it out for a while now. So now back to square one, so the first thing i do i hook up the fuel pressure gauge and prime it. getting 58-60 psi at prime and holding. good, i was hoping it wasn't a fuel issue. so now the question is, what the heck is it. after doing some reading i find out about this bad ignition switch deal where if you turn the key all the way on start it just cranks but if you pop it lightly over to start it seems to fire. so i tried it and it works like a charm. so this morning to verify it was my ignition switch i hooked up the timing light to my coil wire and turned the key all the way on the start position. same thing, just sat there and cranked and cranked but it WAS getting spark according to the light. so i tried the trick and boom it starts 2nd pop.

when it runs it runs fine. never have and issue when its running just when starting. so now i'm confused, i'm getting spark in both positions but its only starting when i lightly "pop" it into the start position. Is there any further tests i can do to confirm it's my ignition switch, or could it be something else? I really don't want to throw parts at it, after a 375 dollar fuel pump. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Beginning Member
zr2kore is on a distinguished road

bump

still unable to find any more info on this issue, can anyone help?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

Replace the ignition switch, they are not that expensive and all indications point to it. I replaced two ignition switches on my Bravada in under 3 years.

Good move on the Delphi pump, the modifications on the Delphi pump should last you for many years.