Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Intake Man. gasket - now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:17 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Intake Man. gasket - now won't start

you need to set sync using a scan tool

Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM
rtgordon is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately I may be stuck. I have AutoTAP and have not been able to find anything on syncing the new sensor with it. I can read and clear codes as well as monitor just about everything, but that's it.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if the CMP sensor was replaced (the sensor in the distributor), then you need to perform a CASE relearn (or crankshaft variation learn). Set sync is not the proper terminology if you were to explain this to a shop. You could get the point across after explaining what was replaced, but it is just easier to use the right terminology.

You need a fairly high featured scan tool to be able to perform this operation. Your Autotap cannot perform this procedure unless they have drastically changed something since I owned one. At the very least, you need a scan tool with bidirectional controls.

And I stand behind my statement that if you do not replace the CMP or CKP sensors (camshaft position and crankshaft position respectively), you do not need to perform a CASE relearn. Of course if you replace the entire distributor you will have to, but up until rtgordon's last post, that was not known.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM
rtgordon is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe me, until a couple hours ago, I didn't plan on replacing the distributor!!! All that pulling it in and out stressed the plastic part of the housing and it cracked in two places.

Thanks again for the help, I guess I'll have to get this thing to a shop with a proper scan tool for the job.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

90% of the time i dont have to do a relearn but every once in awhile i do the problem he desribed sounded just like it needed a relearn which it does

Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In the future you may want to explain your recommendations a bit more... While you may have the tools to do this, most people do not and when a dealer may charge as much as 1hr labor for a relearn, it isn't something to just be tossed out there with no explanation. There are questions that should be asked and answered prior to making that recommendation. While you may have been correct in this instance without knowing the full story, the next person that reads this thread may not have the same problem and may waste upwards of $80 for an unnecessary relearn.