Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Intermittant no spark 93 MFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 12:33 PM
Starting Member
Ajayroe is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittant no spark 93 MFI

Ok guys I have a big problem with my 93 S10 Blazer. It randomly loses spark and will not start I checked for fuel and it's good cranks over but not firing. If I let it sit for a day or so it will start again and run fine. I have replaced the distrure, cap, rotor, coil and ECU bit the problen contuines. This has been going on for several years but I haven't been driving it much until about a year ago. It wasen't doing this at first then it started all over again and seems to be happing more ofter. I really need to get this fixed as my little sister need to use it and I don't want her to get stranded again. Please help I don't knoe where to go from here. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ajayroe
Ok guys I have a big problem with my 93 S10 Blazer. It randomly loses spark and will not start I checked for fuel and it's good cranks over but not firing. If I let it sit for a day or so it will start again and run fine. I have replaced the distrure, cap, rotor, coil and ECU bit the problen contuines. This has been going on for several years but I haven't been driving it much until about a year ago. It wasen't doing this at first then it started all over again and seems to be happing more ofter. I really need to get this fixed as my little sister need to use it and I don't want her to get stranded again. Please help I don't knoe where to go from here. Thanks.
I'm no expert on the 93s but I'll give this a bump.

My first question is have you confirmed that there is no spark at the coil when this happens by using a spark tester to see if a spark jumps to ground when it is not starting?

What did you do for testing for fuel? Did you use a fuel line pressure gauge?

I had a very intermittent crank/no-run condition that turned out to be caused by a bad fuel pump relay. Compared to the other relays that one gets used a lot and the contacts can degrade. Because it is so easy to try, you might swapping the fuel pump relay for another identical relay in your engine compartment relay block to see if it helps.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:42 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Is the '93 the same as the '91? If so, I just went through ignition issues, one after the other and at this point have replaced almost all of my ignition components. That intermittent no-start was caused by my distributor. I got three bad distributors, one brand new Chinese and two Cardone rebuilds. In the end, I put my old ECM on the third and rebuilt distributor for the win. Here is a link to a trouble-shooting guide that I was sent during my process. Also check youtube for testing your coil, it's easy to do while on the vehicle.

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4...ed-icm-tests-1

Here's the youtube video I used. The information is good but the video is dragged out, like so many of them do so just click through to the relevant spots.

Last edited by Walleye Hunter; 12-02-2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Is the '93 the same as the '91? If so, I just went through ignition issues, one after the other and at this point have replaced almost all of my ignition components. That intermittent no-start was caused by my distributor. I got three bad distributors, one brand new Chinese and two Cardone rebuilds. In the end, I put my old ECM on the third and rebuilt distributor for the win. Here is a link to a trouble-shooting guide that I was sent during my process. Also check youtube for testing your coil, it's easy to do while on the vehicle.

https://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4...ed-icm-tests-1

Here's the youtube video I used. The information is good but the video is dragged out, like so many of them do so just click through to the relevant spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBsTHeDFImQ