Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

It's a bought time for a new air filter....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb It's a bought time for a new air filter....

I thought about just building a cold air intake so, for nothing else but to open up a little air space in that corner...........

I really don't think that the C A I really does much except make a little noise.......the stock box probably produces the same volume???........

I thought about, when washing the engine down with the power washer......I would have to cover the filter or remove the pipe and plug the hole.......

hmmmmm........C A I sounds like more trouble than it's worth for me......

Do you guys give bad marks for an old man that answers his own questions while he writes them out

I think Ill just go buy a new filter tomorrow.........

Old 08-30-2017, 09:08 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I put a junk yard found intake on my 04 when I was going some engine work a couple years back. Looks fancy, makes a little noise when you lay into the skinny pedal, but that's about it...

For what it's worth, I'm considering putting the stock box and air filter back in it

Old 08-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Starting Member

The biggest thing that stopped me was, having to cover the filter before i washed the engine.......I like to experiment, but i don't like making extra work ;-).....

another thing that came to mind was the oil for the filter.......too much and you risk mucking up the MAF.......

If I would happen to come across an air box in the salvage lot I might try to route some extra air hoses out to the grill area...and give that a try....

I still say the best fix is doing the new spider........my blazer has never ran better.....

Old 09-01-2017, 08:38 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by don james
The biggest thing that stopped me was, having to cover the filter before i washed the engine.......I like to experiment, but i don't like making extra work ;-).....

another thing that came to mind was the oil for the filter.......too much and you risk mucking up the MAF.......

If I would happen to come across an air box in the salvage lot I might try to route some extra air hoses out to the grill area...and give that a try....

I still say the best fix is doing the new spider........my blazer has never ran better.....

I've never bothered covering mine, but I also make sure to not spray right onto it. I usually have the engine running while I wash it anyhow.

I use a dry filter for that reason, I don't like the oiled ones...

Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Starting Member

So this red filter that you have is not a K&N?? if it is cloth, i guess a little water spray won't hurt, I thought all of these needed oil??...........I guess i better get with the program and find out what's new in the filter world ;-).....

after i get my seats in, I'll go back to the air box.....I may try some 1 or 1 1/2" holes and some tubing out to the front of the radiator.......I'm sure all of this has been done and I'll probably end up with an original air intake, but I like to tinker, I've been that way all my life :-)

Old 09-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Brian Hinzpeter is on a distinguished road

I have a CAI its the K&N brand I have power washed my engine several times while off roading and I just make sure I don't start it up for a few hours to give everything a chance to dry. I have never had a problem with it. As for the performance gain from it, I did notice a slight gain but not much. I mostly installed it for the noise. I am an engine nose junky.