Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Leaking antifreeze...but from where?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Bowtiebaby is on a distinguished road
Talking Leaking antifreeze...but from where?

Hi im new here and im looking to fix my truck. It is leaking antifreeze but only after you shut it off. It doesnt leak while its running and the temp remains normal. I can't see where exactly the leak is coming from (yes, I know i need to find out). Im just curious to see if yall can help me troubleshoot the problem. I know I need a new intake manifold but im 99% positive thats not where its leaking from. When it leaks on the pavement it's on the right hand side (drivers) near the tire. Is it my water pump? Im pretty sure I have to take the plastic off to look at the hoses and radiator (Im not that vehicle savvy but need this done and im sick of waiting on men to do it!) <-no offense to those who qualify . Any help greatly appreciated! BTW it's a 99.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

well, what you can do is get a kit to add to the anitfreeze that will glow in black light.
that is the easiest way, not the cheapest though.

most likely what is happening is that when you shut the engine off the pressure is building up and finding a way out of the system, i have had this happen with hoses that i thought were tight...drove around and then shut the engine off and sprang a small leak.

with it being near the tire it is probably the hose, i would think the waterpump would leak more towards the front of the engine...unless it is hitting the skid plate up front and running off.

i know that doesnt really answer your question, but i hope it helps you by giving you some options.

as far as intake manifold fix, it is involved but not terrible..it will take you a day or two depending on your skill level. i wouldnt put it off to long though.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member
liftedwhite95 is on a distinguished road

you may have a freeze plug leaking . i have had to replace 3 of the 6 in my motor .. more specifically , look at the freeze plug behind the driver's side motor mount .. and of course that one is the one that SUCKS the most to replace . :/
hope this helps ...

Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Beginning Member
NoDakBlazer is on a distinguished road

I have to ask, are you sure it's coolant? no offense intended just a serious question. (when I was leaking AF, it wasn't the normal AF green. but i could smell it) Also, have you checked your coolant level? You had mentioned that the temps don't fluctuate at all.
Im not sure where on the 99's where the AC condensor is, but if you are running your AC alot, and it's humid out, you could be seeing the drip off of the condensor.

Last edited by NoDakBlazer; 08-03-2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM
finetune is on a distinguished road
Default finetune

might be leaking out the tail pipe.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:44 AM

Thanks for all your help. Its definatly coolant leaking and sometimes the overflow will be slightly low. The other day I went to check the fluid before I left the house and the overflow and radiator were empty. It only leaks sometimes and its not coming from the tail pipe.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

thats not good....get the uv kit, it works great.
i think any old black light will work with it too.
just follow inst on bottle and you should be good to go....might not wanna let that go to long.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:27 PM

thanks all!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 PM
sctt_wlsn is on a distinguished road

mine was leaking a lot like you said. in six months it had used a gallon of antifreeze and I could smell it every one in a while. never could find it until one day i saw a puddle under it in a parking lot. It was in front of the driver's side front tire. I pulled up on the fan shroud a little and the front of the radiator was wet. When I pulled the radiator to replace it the plastic jug on that side had a spot that was bulged out and cracked. The job wasn't overly tough to do. a couple of bolts to remove the fan shroud. take of the coolant, oil and tranny lines going into the radiator. then the radiator lifts right out.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Beginning Member
manekDC2_ is on a distinguished road

my coolant was leaking out of my heater core bad i saw it on the floor at first but it went away... then it just kept dissappearing... finally the. lower started blowing dust eveywhere and the heater core was toast