Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Looking for an answer on drive train..

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 PM
JasinP is on a distinguished road
Cool Looking for an answer on drive train..

I have a 1997 Blazer LS 4X4 a buddy of mine recently purchased a 2001 Blazer, he said his Blazer is real wheel drive when the 4X4 is off, ever since I've had mine its front wheel drive when the 4x4 is off, he said thats not correct and something is wrong, I should have rear wheel drive?? I've not had any problems at all with the tranny, I changed the fluid and filter not long ago because it was sticking in reverse and not shifting right, after the change it shifts fine, I hit the 4X4 HI button and can feel the back wheels engage...Is something wrong? should it be in rear wheel drive with the 4X4 engaged?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Sturg is on a distinguished road

it definately should be RWD when 4x4 isn't engaged.... I have no clue what's wrong with it though.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard of a FWD/4X4 Blazer

Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 PM
JasinP is on a distinguished road

it pulls from the front when 4x4 is off, I know that for a fact, was told it could be stuck, but I can feel the rear wheels engage when I hit the 4HI switch, and also when I'm in 2x4 its just the front wheels that slip, it drives great, handles AWESOME in the snow in 4X4 and off road, I've peeled the tires is 2 wheel drive quite a few times and its the front ones spinning... so this is a problem? could it be a mod of some kind? bought it used, I know it has the cold air intake, full under carriage armor..other than that, I dont know, it has been a great vehicle though, now has 205K on her and only had to do minor repairs. I just thought it was front wheel drive until today.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is physically impossible to disengage the rear axle without taking something apart in stock form. From the factory, the drive line is solid from the transmission to the rear driveshaft with nothing to engage or disengage. Only the front axle is disengaged when in 2HI. If yours acts otherwise, someone has done something to it.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

I know of a fellow that bought an older model Army Jeep, he was so happy driving up and down the highways with it. Deer season came and on a deer hunting trip he needed 4 wheel drive, kicked it in, least though he was. No 4 wheel drive, only front wheel drive. The fellow he bought it from messed up the read end, took some parts out of the read end, and had it full time front drive.

Boy was he mad, especially because ot the price he paid for it. There be people that will do this. It sure pays to check one out before you buy it some people will realy get to you if you let them.