Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Loss of power

So when is the power loss, when you get on the gas? Does it go away at higher RPM's? If that's the case, I would shoot for a simple tune-up. A bad plug is liable to do that.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM
ehawks is an unknown quantity at this point

It is my wifes car so I only drove it in on the country roads for the last test drive. Tonight I am going to drive it on the highway. She tells me it really craps out on the highway at 70 MPH and then ask for more power. Will let you know tomorrow.

For the short term the plugs were replaced at 120 K. It has 169K now. I went with the ones they told me to use at the auto parts store which were platinum. I remember becuse they were wayyyy expensive but they said I was supposed to get 100K out of them. After I changed them I was glad I went with them becuase I am not anxious to do that again.

Car runs fine at any speed but when you push the accerator down it just does not have power. I does not sputter or hesitate of miss. Just accelerates way slower than it should. Other than that you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with it. Higher RPM's it is still an issue.

Not sure on the plug wires or distributor. We bought it with 120 K and are up to 169 K. I don't think I have done anything with the wires or distributor but Lenny I agree with you that you would expect a miss or something. Idles smooth, motor purrs like a kitten. Just don't ask it go go up a hill or accelerate quickly. Ain't gona happen.

Again after the highway test tonight I will have more data.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 PM

Would anyone think that the o2 sensor is getting bad readings and sending signals to the ecm that could cause the fuel mixture to become too lean/rich? My last vehicle suffered tremendous power loss due to a faulty o2 sensor

Old 04-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Well unfortunately the hiway trip was inconclusive. I drove about 35 miles last night. Seemed fine at all speeds on the freeway. Would even slow down and give it gas and it shifted fine and never missed or stuttered or anything. Most of driving was between 65 and 75. After I got off the freeway I was on back country roads and we have one big hill and I got on it going up that hill and it seemed ok so the test was a bust. After I told my wife about this she was going out of her mind becuase of course most of whatever the hell is going on with this thing is happening when she drives it. it is her blazer. Just going to have to wait for more info. I think anything that would make a lean mixture is a good idea. I am going to pull a couple of plugs this weekend so see what they look like. If it is running lean it should show up there. If that proves nothing then mayby ask the lovely to get off the crack.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 PM

LMFAO! Hopefully you get everything figured out. Good Luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 AM
sccadsr31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a few days ago on poor fuel economy and noted that acceleration was also poor. I have cleand all the sensors on the front end of the injection and the acceleration is significantly improved. None of the sensors looked particularly dirty and the MAP had a little gunk in it. Try cleaning all the sensors and changing the air filter.
David

Old 05-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Well we finally get to the problem. A week back was driving and felt the loss of power. I decied that everything pointed to the fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator. I figured the heck with it, it has 170K miles on it, I am just going to replace the fuel pump. Worse thing is I end up with a new fuel pump. We plan on driving if a few more years any way. Two days later on the way to work the fuel pump completely took a shio&^&. Had to tow it home at $107!!! Dang I sure wish I could have put that money towards a fuel pump! It's stitting in my garage and with the price of gas will probablly be there for awhile. Put my wife in the 97 Aerostar with a 3.0, that gets 21 MPG.