Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Major missfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
croozer is on a distinguished road
Question Major missfire

The Google gods keep sending my questions to this sites postings!! Hi to all and now to the problem. I have been seriously gathering info from here, manuals and other websites trying to figure out my s10 problems.
1994 s10 blazer, 4.3,4x4,automatic, 148,000 miles on body and 47,000 miles on engine. It starts right up on one or two cranks and idles great. I push the fuel pedal down a little and it starts to sputter. It drives great down the road if you do not press the pedal down alot. If you do, it bucks and jerks and does not die out, just sputters and then settles down once I release the gas pedal. I have been working on this stinker all week.
Fuel pressure test was 60 psi, new fuel regulator,new ignition coil, new fuel filter, change distributor and ecm, new cap and rotor, new plugs, cleaned map sensor with electrical parts cleaner, the cat. converter was removed. No codes are stored..OBD I system.
When the upper plenum was off, I noticed the intake ports were wet looking. I turned the ignition on, pressured up the fuel lines and did not see or smell fuel coming from the spider lines or the cpi unit.
The symptoms of a stuck EGR, or the TPS or a bad MAPS does not seem to match with my problem..or
I did not see any broken vacuum lines, but who knows. I will be back under the hood soon. I may pull the upper plenum off again and double check the spider assembly.
I do not want to sink to the level of taking it to a stealership or a local garage.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by croozer; 08-27-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the base timing set properly (0* to TDC #1) and was it set with the timing connector disconnected?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM

I will check the timing to eliminate that possibility. It starts right up and idles great, just like it did before it started to have the drivability problem. I can drive it around town ok if I do not have to push hard on the gas pedal.
The bolt on the distributor hold down clamp was tight.
The only engine symptoms I had leading up to this was some engine surging whan I would slow down for 75 mph highways speeds down to 55 and under while it was in overdrive. I would shift into drive and it went away, probably because of different rpms. I thought maybe the lockup in the torque converter was going screwy,not wanting to stay engaged. I did the test of driving and tapping the brakes to see if the rpm changes to test( to disengage the converter) the torque converter seemed to be ok.
The engine was running great at that time.
I forgot to mention earlier that when I changed the fuel regulator it ran great for a couple of miles. I got out on the interstate and romped on the gas pedal and it had all the power and no missing or bucking and then it went back to its former symptoms.

Last edited by croozer; 08-29-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM

I have not been able to get over to the local pick and pull parts yard due to alot of rain that make that place a mudrunners paradise.
I am going to get a spider assembly off a s10 that was doomed in the cash for clunkers ordeal.If I can get it really cheap,it would be worth changing it out, just for kicks to see if makes a difference. I got a newer distributor and a looks like new ecm with it.
Being unfamiliar with this cpi injector system has its drawbacks at first.
I mentioned that after I put the fuel regulator on, it ran great for a little while.
I am wondering if my wiggling on the cpi unit had an effect on it.
Under the plenum, the drivers side looked more dirty that the passenger side, especially cleaner by the regulator.
The engine is now having a rougher idle to it, so it is getting worse.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 PM

The spider was bad. I changed it out with a new-used one and it runs like a champ again.
Thanks for any advice given!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it fixed up! Sorry I didn't get back to you. Things have been crazy lately.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks, it does feel good to get the motor purring again and No problem on not getting back with me, I thought you did ok..! You found time to get back with me on my question. It just took me time to figure out what needed to be replaced. It was a good learning experience.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Beginning Member
wallace is on a distinguished road

seems to be the same symptoms of mine?? 93 s10 blazer 4.3 vortec 4wd what did the spyder cost you//?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by wallace
seems to be the same symptoms of mine?? 93 s10 blazer 4.3 vortec 4wd what did the spyder cost you//?
$30.00 at a used auto parts yard.