Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

moisture brings problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road
Default moisture brings problems

Well, after a lot of time trying to solve my problem I think I've narrowed it down. When it rains or there is a lot of moisture in the air my 99 2 door four wheel drive kind of jumps forward while while accelerating, or if I keep it at a constant speed. It did this when it was out of time, and after searching for vacuum leaks.. I think I may have narrowed it to the distributor cap or wires. I'm thinking moisture is getting into the cap. My friend told me his dads dodge had the same problem when his was getting moisture in the cap. So could that be a possibility? I don't have a delco cap/rotor.. but it only does it in the rain, or morning with a lot of moisture around. Would it be OK to put some rtv silicone around the cap where it bolts down to seal it? Now, km not experienced with mechanics, I'm 17 and learning. So that is why I come to you guys..

Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Beginning Member
Kaser1026 is on a distinguished road

I'd try the distributor cap. If they crack and water gets in it'll make it miss. Possibly wires never had wires do it but I've had distributor caps do it a lot. Check the rotor button for corrosion while you have it off. Cheap fix if its that

Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Cap, rotor and wires are the most likely cause. These engines are pretty fussy, use AC Delco cap & rotor and any good quality wire set. Put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap. While the cap is off, check the vents on the bottom of the distributor. GM had a TSB a while back that intructed to remove them for better ventilation of the cap:

Name:  EDIdistributor.png
Views: 5971
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 AM

thank you guys! I do have a cheap cap/rotor.. which is probably the reason. I have a warranty though. I'm going to go to auto zone and see if I can get my money back and get a delco set. Captain, after doing research on this I have seen you post that a few times. I went out to remove them gesterday , then it started to storm. It'll have to wait till tomorrow most likely

Old 05-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swanman35
Well, after a lot of time trying to solve my problem I think I've narrowed it down. When it rains or there is a lot of moisture in the air my 99 2 door four wheel drive kind of jumps forward while while accelerating, or if I keep it at a constant speed. It did this when it was out of time, and after searching for vacuum leaks.. I think I may have narrowed it to the distributor cap or wires. I'm thinking moisture is getting into the cap. My friend told me his dads dodge had the same problem when his was getting moisture in the cap. So could that be a possibility? I don't have a delco cap/rotor.. but it only does it in the rain, or morning with a lot of moisture around. Would it be OK to put some rtv silicone around the cap where it bolts down to seal it? Now, km not experienced with mechanics, I'm 17 and learning. So that is why I come to you guys..

Those are text book symptoms of a cracked cap. Do NOT put RTV silicone on the cap. If there are any vapors from the self vulcanizing, they can ignite and your cap can explode. There are other things that can cause it but put a good cap and rotor on.

Try to get a cap and rotor with bronze, brass or copper electrodes. Blue Streak is what I've used in the past to take that last little miss out of an engine. The aluminum electrodes work okay but corrode a lot faster. I don't know if Blue Streak brand is still available but I know the brass electrodes are.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 AM
liljoejoe54 is on a distinguished road

Yes moisture can have a huge effect. I used to have an old '95 Altima that I used for work and every time it rained, the same thing happened to me, it would shake really bad or surge while driving. Changed the cap and rotor and it ran like a champ.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Starting Member
papajim is on a distinguished road

My 99 Blazer does the same as your swanman, i put on new AC Delco cap, rotor, wires, plugs and it still acts up in damp weather, i dont know what else to do, oh, the vent was open too.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:15 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by papajim
My 99 Blazer does the same as your swanman, i put on new AC Delco cap, rotor, wires, plugs and it still acts up in damp weather, i dont know what else to do, oh, the vent was open too.
Im pretty sure when the ignition coil starts going out they hate moisture also. So that would be something to look into as well if you have done everything else. Generally if you're having issues with moisture secondary ignition is the problem. So my guess is your coil since its the only part you didnt do. Captain will probably tell us for sure tho

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 05-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM

I put on another duralast crap and rotor and it's driving better for now. I'll get to the wires And a delco cap and rotor in the future. I'll update if conditions change