Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Mystery wires ...please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Starting Member
pjdupont1 is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery wires ...please help

I have a '99 two-door two-wheel drive Blazer. I'm in the process of putting the reman motor back in this morning. I switch everything over and I come across the knock sensor on the rear of the block and I didn't recall taking a connector off of it before the motor came out. So I go up and inspect the engine compartment for any wires that I need to tie up and I'm looking at the firewall and see three wires coming from the way of the transmission one of which looks like it was pulled away from whatever it was connected to.
One wire is solid black, one wire is black with a white stripe and the last wire is black with either a red or brown stripe.
I cannot find a connector for the knock sensor at all I don't recall it ever having one. The blazer was wrecked on the driver front quarter panel before I obtained it a little over a year ago. So I don't know if this was something that happened during the wreck but definitely prior to my ownership. I imagine one of the wires that's in the harness possibly goes to the one pin knock sensor but what the other two go to I have no idea does anyone have any help or knowledge on this situation if I need to post this in electrical please tell me and I will move this post or you can move it whichever. I'm at a standstill at this moment as far as putting my motor back in so any help would be duly appreciated I'm about to look up the electrical schematic if I can find one and try to do some diagnosis myself. I'm also attaching some photos of these wires if you can see them clearly thank you for your time.
ps. ---My speedometer works,. My transmission was shifting to all gears correctly before I took the motor out. I don't have a clue what these wires are for I know one has to be the knock sensor wire but I'm not sure which one.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:39 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Oil pressure sender?

Old 07-17-2021, 11:11 PM
Starting Member
pjdupont1 is on a distinguished road

naw... i have the oil sending unit connector

Old 07-29-2021, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

The knock sensor wire in a '99 is dk blue.

I can't see anything in the engine compartment with those wire colors.

George