Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

need help with 305 motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Starting Member
illmauri is on a distinguished road
Default need help with 305 motor

First I'd like to say thanks in advance for any help and advice...

I just recently bought a 85 jimmy that needs a lil resto. but I would like to get help getting it running 1st. It has a GM goodwrench 305 in it and basically needs to be put together. Maybe nothing too serious but for me it is a pain and its making me feel dumb lol. So far I know: that the exhaust manifolds need to be bolted on and thats just a matter of getting the right bolt size. I dont know what to call it but ALL of the tubing that has to do with the EGR is missing. The carb needs to be put on (quadrajet) but the guy gave me 3 i know two are manual one is electric. I also need to know how to properly get the power steering pump and a/c compressor bolted on properly and not to mention being able to identify and connect miscellaneous wires.... I know this is alot especially to read. I really appreciate any help that can be given

Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Beginning Member
Truestance is on a distinguished road

I can't help you but maybe try to go to YouTube and search how to install power steering pump an ac compressor on that motor. Just watching someone else install may help you. Good luck

Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the reply... I been trying that but ive been seeing different bracket setups the biggest issue is the exhaust manifold bolts

Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Those tubes that are broke off the exhaust manifolds are for emmisions control and fresh air is fed through with a smog pump.You wont have to worry about it unless you live in a state that has inspections.Are the quadrajets the only carbs you got?Are they 2 barrel or four?Your model engine will work better with the elctric,be prepaired for a rebuild kit which isnt cheap these days.Do a google search for youtube "how to assemble a small block chevy engine.Once you find the video you will see its easy to do.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Starting Member

No I live in ny smog isnt a issue... but the are questions like what to do about the whole in passenger side exhaust manifold, do I have to change the water neck and the various small tubes attached to stuff... what to do with them all?? Are there specific things I need to get to plug it all? All the carbs are 4 barrel and going with the electric, where do I get the connectors? And where on the car do I connect them to??

Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Starting Member

And thanks alot for the help... I was starting to get frustrated but your giving me some clarity and direction for this.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by illmauri
No I live in ny smog isnt a issue... but the are questions like what to do about the whole in passenger side exhaust manifold, do I have to change the water neck and the various small tubes attached to stuff... what to do with them all?? Are there specific things I need to get to plug it all? All the carbs are 4 barrel and going with the electric, where do I get the connectors? And where on the car do I connect them to??

The small tubes on your exhaust manifolds can be welded shut. If there is much of the tube left, mash it flat and bend it over. Solder it and you should seal any leaks. If the hose will go to the top of the radiator. If it will clear the fan and the other accesories, leave it alone.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Starting Member

Ok thanks. So the water neck and the small tubes coming of the distributor are ok left alone? And I bought 3/8 × 16 × 2" bolts(grade 8) for the exhaust manifold this should be good right? And for stud bolts I bought a 12" 3/8 × 16 zinc rod and some nuts. I will cut two 3" peices with a grinder, will this suffice? Being the rod is only grade 2? The nuts are grade 8 tho.