Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member
TheZR2ThatCould is on a distinguished road
Default Need help asap

2000 4x4 2dr Blazer. Was driving to a friends earlier and I hit a pothole and I noticed my gauge lights went dim and before I could do anything about it, my truck COMPLETELY, shut off. My fuel, oil pressure gauges stopped where they were and remain where they were . When I turn the key I get no lights or anything. Not even under the hood. Im mostly a body mod, or basically anything but engine kind of guy so am in desperate need of help. My battery is charged but I get no lights or anything inside the vehicle or the hood lamp. Luckily A friend pulled me home but I dont know where to start. Read somewhere it may be my ignition cylinder? Any ideas?

EDIT: FIXed the problem. Second generation blazers have a fuse below the battery tray that can easily ground out. Its in a box as seen in the attatched photos. Thankfully its a $4.00 fuse that I have to replace and not a power wire. The guy who commented was 100% right. Check for power at alternator and fuse box and then trace the others. Have a good one!

Last edited by TheZR2ThatCould; 02-24-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You basically have to start moving through the electrical system from the battery out with a test light or multimeter to see where power is present. I would recommend starting by connecting the negative probe to a suitable ground on the engine & then placing the positive probe on the battery positive. This will tell you whether the ground loop is proper. If you have power that way, then move on by probing the B+ terminal on the underhood fuse block as well as the large wire on the back of the alternator.

If you have power there, then you can move inside & check the ignition switch for power at the appropriate pins. You can find the appropriate wiring diagrams in the 'Anatomy of the Ignition Switch' link in my signature below. That thread should have all of the information you need to determine if the ignition switch is at fault.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:13 PM
Beginning Member
TheZR2ThatCould is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You basically have to start moving through the electrical system from the battery out with a test light or multimeter to see where power is present. I would recommend starting by connecting the negative probe to a suitable ground on the engine & then placing the positive probe on the battery positive. This will tell you whether the ground loop is proper. If you have power that way, then move on by probing the B+ terminal on the underhood fuse block as well as the large wire on the back of the alternator.

If you have power there, then you can move inside & check the ignition switch for power at the appropriate pins. You can find the appropriate wiring diagrams in the 'Anatomy of the Ignition Switch' link in my signature below. That thread should have all of the information you need to determine if the ignition switch is at fault.
Thank you, I have power at the alternator, I found a ground out red wire towards the grille side of the batter between the batter tray and the frame, about to investigate