Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need Help Bad!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
CrispyCritter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need Help Bad!

about a month ago i had the fuel pump replaced. with that was the screen kit with a new fuel filter. now my driving conditions are as follows. i can make it to normal driving speeds, 55 mph, but anything higher or if i mainly push the gas pedal down too hard, the engine pukes and stumbles until i let off and take it easy. i have replaced the wires, plugs, cap, rotor, and sprayed the hell outta the vac hoses with carb and choke, and nothing happens. i have looked through the searches and dont know what to turn to with other people have similar yet different problems. i drive asoon to be bowtie 93 Olds Bravada 4.3z.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:48 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need Help Bad!

get your fuel pressure tested.

if your fuel filter was dirtry enough for long neough it will wear the pump out. then when you replace the filter, typically 1-3 months later your pump goes out. I dont understand the whys or how comes, however i have seen it enough to recognize the pattern. get your fuel pressure tested.

about the only thing your puter doesn't monitor is fuel pressure. i take it you dont have any codes. if you do get a code no doubt it will be due to engine stumble.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:51 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the Forum. Have you made sure that the catalytic converter is not plugged up? Rap on it with a rubber hammer, etc. If you hear something rattling inside, it's shot.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

You should always replace the fuel pump wiring harness when you replace the fuel pump.Some replacement fuel pump manufacturers even include anew wiring harness in their fuel pump kit.

It is also a good idea to clean orreplace the fuel tank when your fuel pump fails. Something caused the fuel pump to fail and a new tank and wiring harness eliminates those sources of failure.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
CrispyCritter is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the welcome aboard, and for not making the first 5 replies bashes. took the truck back to the shop, tested fuel pressure, low and behold the brand new pump is bad. so i called auto zone, of course i can get a new pump, but i would hafta submit a claim to the manufactuer for the shop costs of labor. which a/z tells me they'll only cover half. real fair to the customer. so by the time i get done with it all, i might as well of bought a brand new oem gm sending unit! so if anybodies had any luck with getting Masters(pump manf) or auto zone to budge on this one that would be better than finding out what the initial prob was