Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need help with throttle cable, upper intake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member
m0perale is on a distinguished road

It doesn't look identical, but maybe looks functional. I might just order it and see if I can't finagle it on there. My one concern is how the 'hole' part attaches to the throttle body. Mine had an open bottom end that slid on. This looks like it has a hole.

Edit: Thanks!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That style uses a c-clip to secure it to the post on the throttle linkage which has a groove for the clip to slip into. I'm not sure what your original one used, but probably something similar. It most likely was just a keyhole style pull on friction clip.

The newer style end is assembled onto the cable by first disassembling the threaded insert from the main body, sliding the main body over the cable end, placing the cable into the threaded insert, then threading the insert back into the main body. Once it is back together, you can clip it back onto the throttle body and adjust it to snug up the cable.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member

That's what I thought. I think it will work. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

Well, as an update, I got the part yesterday. Got it out of the box, went to try it out, and the diameter of the hole that attaches to the throttle body is too small to fit. Bummer.

Being a stubborn bastard, I took some aviation snips, needle nose pliers, and a utility knife, I gutted the part where the c-clip is supposed to attach and also cut a slot so that the hole is no longer a hole, but more like the original clip (keyhole style or whatever). It fits snugly, and I don't think it will slip off, but it does seem to stress a bit at the back part of the clip. I'll see if I can find a way to reinforce it.

On my way to work, I figured I'd try it in action, and figured the worst that could happen is the clip snaps and the car slows down (was that foolish? hah) and so I gave it a go. It worked... at least for now!

Anyway, without some serious mods, this will not work, and with mods, it may not last! Buyer beware