Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

new distirbutor, blue smoke engine turned backwards

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member
bodhifirestarr is on a distinguished road
Default new distirbutor, blue smoke engine turned backwards

This is the jest of it all. I put in a new distributor, turned the engine to TDC of the #1 cylinder, compression side, moved the oil pump the correct position, installed the new distributor, started the blazer and it seemed to run fine. That was yesterday. When I went to start it today, it didn't want to start, started blowing some blue smoke, and when I stopped trying to turn it over, it ran backwards a couple of cylinders. What is my next step. The service engine light came back on as well.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ran backwards...

How did it sound when it was turning over? What prompted you to replace the distributor?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member

I had to replace the distributor when I broke it after replacing the knock sensor. I went to put it back together and then broke the cap and housing screw holes. So I put it in. Started it yesterday and it seemed fine. Went to start this morning and it acted like it didn't want to start. Almost like it was out of time. The noise was normal engine noise when it is turning over, it just didn't fire off. Then went backwards slightly.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member

so can anyone help me with this issue or should I just call it quits and take it to the chevy shop

Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I didnt know they could go backwards...wow..

Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

What Kyle and Jason are trying to tell you is that nobody understands what you are trying to say when you state that the engine 'went backwards'. Can you clarify that statement?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point

did u install the spark plugs in the right order on the distrubutor

** i see it ran fine before***

Old 03-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Starting Member
Johns1987Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Timing sounds like its too retarted, turn the distributor clockwise in 1/4 in increments until it fires. To properly set the timing, you will need a timing light. hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member

Well to clarify, I hope, the running backwards, it turns over like it is supposed to, then when you let off the key, it stops and then chugs the other direction I would say maybe one or two seconds. not really "running", but moving opposite the way it is supposed to go. The plug wires were installed according to the numbers on the wires, and cap. Following them, they lead to the appropriate cylinder, so I went ahead and put them back on the same way, 1 on 1, 2 on 2, etc. Would having the knock sensor installed and not torqued properlly cause this same issue?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot time the 96+ SCFI motors with a timing light. You have to align things properly.

I recommend you go through the EDI Engine Timing thread (in the Tech Article (DIY) section) and make sure that the distributor is installed properly per the alignment marks on the balancer and what is on the inside of the distributor.

Quick Reply: new distirbutor, blue smoke engine turned backwards