Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New to Forum and 1988 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
jssjr5591 is on a distinguished road
Default New to Forum and 1988 Starting Problem

Hello everyone. I've got a 1988 4.3 TBI 4X4 S-10 Blazer automatic. It's been sitting about 5 years for starters. When I parked it. it would crank and crank but not fire. I could spray starter fluid or pour gas in throttle body and it would run. I've dropped the tank and removed fuel pump which was only about 4 years old at the time. I could hook jumper wires to a battery and the pump would move so I think it is fine. Replaced the fuel pump relay on the fender well and still no luck. I did replace fuel filter before problem but can't remember exactly when I did. I have two other vehicles and don't need the Blazer. I charged the battery and the lights work fine but motor won't crank...power windows hardly work so I'm guessing battery is no good now. What I'm asking is what could cause problem...the coil(not sure how to check), the filter backwards, a fuel pressure regulator(not sure where or how to find and check)or possibly bad gas. Any ideas would help and be aprreciated...benn offered $300 as is but think I could scrap for about $13/hundred. Thanks for helping a new guy. Got some other concerns but no need to voice unless anyone think's it's fixable. Hoping it's something simple. 8I did notice some hesitation especially on an incline and intermittant "SES" light before as well.Maybe related as well. I guess I need a new battery and some good advice here before proceeding. Thanks for any/all help.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Fuel pressure needs to be about 11 PSI for TBI engine. You could attach a gage to the output of the fuel filter. To check for spark a timing light connected to a plug wire will tell you if you have spark to the plug. If no spark at the plug connect timing light to the coil wire. If no spark at the coil wire than it is the coil. If you have spark at the coil but not at the plug than the distributer is at fault. Autozone has a loan a tool program for free. Leave a deposit return the tool and get the deposit back. NOID light connected to the plug for the injectors will tell you if you have pulse to the injectors.