Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New Tranny Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:07 PM
brightside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Tranny Cooler

Hi All,
Love this website. I've gotten alot of usefull tips from you all.
I was hoping someone can give me some helpfull information. I have an 02 4X4 Chevy Blazer 4.3L. It has about 78,000 miles on it. I am moving from San Francisco's bay area to Washington DC. About 3000 miles. I will be towing a trailer with my motorcycle and other misc items on it. The total payload will not exceed 1500 lbs. I want to get a transmission cooler for the trek. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of tranny cooler Ishould get? Also, if any of you are from the bay area, do you have any recomendations on where to get it installed? I am not a rich person, but I want to get it installed right the first time. Thanks all.......

Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 PM
PistolPel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New Tranny Cooler

I also am interested in this procedure and have been doing some reasearch. I have not actually installed or purchased one yet but a friend recommendedhttp://www.summitracing.com/ as the best place to buy a quality model. Not sure if its just because its here in Ohio or because they actually stock the best parts. Im hoping some vets have some input on this though, because im curious myself; I have to tow a trailer from Ohio to New Jersey and back so I think a tranny cooler is in order.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend a stacked plate cooler for their efficiency and strength. The B&M 70264 Supercooler is what I have started to use for all of the installs I do for family and friends. All you may have to get is some extra hose for the install on a Blazer, but it comes with the required fittings so you don't have to cut the stock lines. It also comes with mounting hardware to allow for a variety of locations. I tend to try to mount things using hard mounts instead of the through the condenser/radiator mounts, but the through mounts do go together faster and easier most times than the hard mounts.

*EDIT* The B&M also has a viscosity dependant path designed into it. This allows the cooler to be bypassed by higher viscosity, cooler fluid as the transmission is coming up to temperature.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. As far as the The B&M 70264 Supercooler, will it be cheaper to buy it from a store around here you think? Or should I buy it online? Also, what should I expect to pay for installation? I don't want to get ripped off. Thanks again

Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't know how much to expect to pay for installation... I've always done it myself, both for myself and for others, but never have charged. I'm down to under an hour for even the most difficult of vehicles using the through the radiator straps. With a few wrenches, a screw driver, side cutters, a permanent marker, and a knife, you can get it done with relative ease on a blazer.

Here's the steps... [ol][*]Pop the hood.[*]Remove the grill (pull out to disengage the spring retainers and disconnect the turn signals).[*]Disconnect the upper trans line from the radiator.[*]Install the appropriate hose barb fitting from the kit into the radiator and onto the line.[*]Hold your cooler up to the passenger side of the radiator, about 3" from the sheet metal with the inlet/outlet ports facing the passenger side of the truck.[*]Mark the mounting holes on the condenser with the permanent marker.[*]Use these marks as a template and carefully work the plastic straps into the condenser and through the radiator.[*]Remove them and then install the cooler using the straps, remembering to put the foam pads on the back of the cooler between the cooler and the condenser.[*]You'll need to reach through the fan to install the corresponding retaining caps on the opposite side of the straps as well as trim the straps so they don't hit the fan.[*]Once that is done, route your hose from the cooler to the hose barb fittings you installed earlier.[*]Before putting the hose onto the fittings either at the factory location or on the new cooler, do not forget to slip on a hose clamp.[*]Tighten down the clamps and start up the truck.[*]Top off the transmission as necessary after it has been sufficiently warmed up and check for leaks.[*]Reinstall the grill, remembering to reconnect the turn signals and close the hood. DONE!
[/ol]

Old 05-17-2007, 07:59 PM

Cool. Thanks for the tips