Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Tranny Cooler

Old 12-01-2006, 09:12 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny Cooler

Just curious if any of you are running trans coolers for peace of mind due to 4L60E woes. Also for those of you running them did you bypass the stock trans cooler inside the radiator? Top line is output and bottom is input correct? Also where did ya mount them?

Thanks

Old 12-01-2006, 09:19 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny Cooler

ORIGINAL: AutomagicLS1

Just curious if any of you are running trans coolers for peace of mind due to 4L60E woes. Also for those of you running them did you bypass the stock trans cooler inside the radiator? Top line is output and bottom is input correct? Also where did ya mount them?

Thanks
I am not running one on my present vehicle YET, but with priors I have always bypassed the radiator "tranny" cooler and ran a stand alone cooler mounted in front of the radiator behind the grille. I dont think it matters which one is in/out but it should have a mark on the tranny cooler. What tranny cooler are you running/ wanting to run?

Old 12-01-2006, 09:36 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably a hayden from a local parts store a decent sized one. What size/brand would you reccomend. I have 2 24000gvm coolers on my LS1 but then again I have a 4000 converter and nitrous. I plan on doin some minor towing like a small uhaul trailor full of stuff.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am running an Imperial 11x7-3/4 stacked plate trans cooler inline with the radiator. The transmission cooler in the radiator is on the cool side of the radiator so it can still be beneficial to have it take out some of the heat. I have mine exit the transmission, go through the radiator, into the aux cooler and back to the transmission. This cools the fluid the most possible. I have my cooler mounted in front of the A/C condenser on the passenger side.

Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 AM
prototype80 is an unknown quantity at this point

my father in law is running a tranny cooler on his 97 4x4, he was towing a car when all of a sudden he didnt have a tranny, **** overheated and that was it 700 later he emerged with a rebuilt tranny and a new cooler. it made allt he world of difference, tows alot better now

Old 12-05-2006, 10:06 AM
jimmyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

i just put on a transmission cooler this year bout 2 months ago. i got mine for when i go wheeling in the deep beach sand. the last time i went i had the temp guage up around the red zone. i put mine just behind the grill. its a hayden heavy duty transmission cooler which i got fom the my locate napa. the only extra thing i had to get was some more hose to attach it.

jimmyboy

Old 12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

I run the B&m supercoolers, Just a brand of cooler I have stuck with for over 10 years, Never had a single problem at all. They arent that pricey and you can get one with or without an electric fan on it.