Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

No 3rd gear no 4th gear and no 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 PM
Starting Member
Thatcountry_boy is on a distinguished road
Default No 3rd gear no 4th gear and no 4wd

Hello all! I bought my first blazer yesterday from a family member for $150! Put a new battery in it and it started up after a few cranks. It's been sitting for a year or 2 and it needs some work. It only has reverse, 1st, 2nd. It will shift from 1st to 2nd good, then tries to go to 3rd but just neutral bombs. Rpm shoot up and no acceleration. It had no tranny fluid when I first started it so I added 2 quarts and drove home 20 miles at 30 mph. Its snowy and when I put it into 4wd ro ger up the hill to the garage, the light switched to 4hi but the front tires did not spin. Also the AC does not switch positions, only stays on face blast no matter where the switch OS so I think vacuum issue? Can these be connected or separate issues? I'm happy to be a part of the community! Also fluids seemed good and it has the 4.6 vortec

Last edited by Thatcountry_boy; 01-31-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:15 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thatcountry_boy
Hello all! I bought my first blazer yesterday from a family member for $150! Put a new battery in it and it started up after a few cranks. It's been sitting for a year or 2 and it needs some work. It only has reverse, 1st, 2nd. It will shift from 1st to 2nd good, then tries to go to 3rd but just neutral bombs. Rpm shoot up and no acceleration. It had no tranny fluid when I first started it so I added 2 quarts and drove home 20 miles at 30 mph. Its snowy and when I put it into 4wd ro ger up the hill to the garage, the light switched to 4hi but the front tires did not spin. Also the AC does not switch positions, only stays on face blast no matter where the switch OS so I think vacuum issue? Can these be connected or separate issues? I'm happy to be a part of the community! Also fluids seemed good and it has the 4.6 vortec
First of all, welcome to the Forum $150 bucks, what a steal no matter how much you end up putting into it! I am a rookie on here compared to most of these guys lol but I will try and help from my experience lol! If the Tranny fluid was bone dry I don't think 2 quarts would have been enough??? As far as your heat/air thing it is called a blend door actuator I believe, operates a flap thing that changes from vent to defrost to floor board ect... Hang in there, these guys will surely jump in and help you way better than I can...

Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I forgot lol! If original motor it should be a 4.3 vortec

Old 02-01-2019, 02:02 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Ac and 4x4 could both be vaccum leaks, for the tranny, you might have a bad shift solenoid... did it came up with any codes when you got home? I agree that 2 quarts might not be enough, but it's better then driving bone dry lol...

Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with the 4x4 issue and HVAC being a vacuum leak. If vehicle was ran any distance (few miles) with low fluid the 3-4 clutches are destroyed. First casualty of low fluid condition. If by adding fluid and you don’t find any obvious leaks I would suspect the input seal for transfer case has failed and fluid from transmission is over filled your transfer case. Good luck.
Brad

Old 02-01-2019, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

3- 4 clutches shot, need a rebuild or a trans from the bone yard, ask me how I know

Old 05-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Beginning Member
Luthor is on a distinguished road

The 4X4 issue can most likely be solved by replacing your vacuum actuated 4wd switch that is located on your transmission/transfer case.
(https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...53619&jsn=1008)
A bad shift solenoid will activate the 'check engine' light to come on.
The vacuum line for your AC/Heating is located under the hood on the driver's side just under the hinge. Look for a steel tube roughly 3/8" dia with a rubber hose attached. Check to see if the vacuum is attached. I had a similar problem with my 97, turns out the vacuum line separated from that tube.