Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

No start after intake manifold gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 09:55 PM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road
Default No start after intake manifold gasket replacement

Ok so starting to get frustrated trying to figure this one out....Last week i took apart the intake manifold to replace the gaskets along with the head gaskets, and also clean everything up real well. Got it back together after it fought me left and right, now I am having a very hard time getting it to start back up. First issue i found was an air leak somewhere in the fuel line bc I wasn't getting any fuel pressure. Found the leak on the fuel line going into the spyder assembly. Fixed that issue and still no luck starting.

Today i chased down another lead thinking i messed up the alignment of the distributor, which i definitely think i did. Pulled the fan off again for the millionth time, pulled #1 spark plug, and set it to TDC (at least i believe i did; hard to feel air coming out of the spark plug hole with fighting everything else in there, though i do believe i got it). Next i fought around with the distributor and properly aligning that freaking thing. Not very fun btw.

Anyways, finally got everything back together and I am still having a very hard time getting back up and running. I thought it felt like it wanted to actually start a couple times (atleast now im getting some type of igniton and not any backfiring), but still no luck. Think i just murdered the battery today as i got more and more frustrated.

Also, in dashcommand on my iphone, I noticed that the MAP sensor was reading 99.0 kPa with the ignition on/engine off. Not normal? I did damage the seal during the disassembly of the plenum and attempted to use RTV to seal it back up.

Sorry for the novel but wanted to get as much information in here as i could. Any help/ideas of what to try next would be greatly appreciated. I'm really starting to get frustrated with this. Especially because the blazer has been out of commission for over a week now. Started this on thanksgiving eve.... starting to really miss my baby lol

Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

99kPa is normal atmospheric pressure. It should read this with the ignition on but not cranking. While cranking, that should drop. Since you say it is always 99kPa, did you by any chance, forget to insert the MAP sensor into the manifold? or maybe you got RTV in the sensor's orifice? New seals are available for around 5 bucks on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Pe...c1ef70&vxp=mtr

Last edited by rxjimmy; 12-05-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added ebay listing
Old 12-06-2014, 12:01 AM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply! I'll have to look into that just for peace of mind perhaps.

But the problem definately turned out to be an ignition timing problem which I had mainly suspected. I definately messed up when I took out the distributor.

For future reference if anyone has this same issue, you have to get cylinder #1 set to TDC ( and you have to be very exact; I was just a hair off the first two times).

Then set your rotor to line up with the six on the distributor housing. The key to doing this is adjusting the shaft in the distributor shaft hole with a long flat head screw driver so it all lines up exactly when you drop it in.

If anyone needs help with this feel free to pm me. I learned the very hard way...lol

Attached Thumbnails No start after intake manifold gasket replacement-img_1597.jpg   No start after intake manifold gasket replacement-img_1598.jpg   No start after intake manifold gasket replacement-img_1599.jpg  

Last edited by awesomeamerican1; 12-07-2014 at 06:06 PM. Reason: wanted to clean it up and add some photos for others as a reference