Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

no start no power

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
01crash is on a distinguished road
Default no start no power

i have a 96 blazer w/ the 4.3 vortec. i swaped the engine and now when i connect the battery i have nothing,no dome light no accessories nothing. i changed the bad fusable link that went to the pcm,and i still got nothing. the engine is well grounded....i have no idea whats going on. im open to whatever?!? please help...

Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All cables (power and ground) are connected properly, correct? Did you go back over everything that was disconnected in the motor swap and double/triple check?

Have you tested things with a test light to try to see where power is and isn't? Having a total loss of power is pretty major and should be pretty easy to track down.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
All cables (power and ground) are connected properly, correct? Did you go back over everything that was disconnected in the motor swap and double/triple check?

Have you tested things with a test light to try to see where power is and isn't? Having a total loss of power is pretty major and should be pretty easy to track down.

yea i spent apx 6 hours so far unhooking rehooking and searching for power. i got power to the pcm but not coming out ( at least not to the gang of fusable links located in front of the wiper moter) a friend thinks its the pcm and the dealer said they can only test it through the obd 2.however, ther is no power located there either,so unless it can be tested with no power then.....

Old 05-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member
samtratom3 is on a distinguished road

I too also have this same issue. I just got done swapping the motor. Everything started up, everything worked great except either a bad battery or starter as it doesnt want to turn over too good but will start and run great. Drove it home yesturday, went out today to track down any bad grounds and someone hot wired a 14-16 gauge wire off the postive and ran it straight to the radio. I went to start the blazer and started to get smoke out of the dash, then saw smoke under the hood. That single wire was glowing hot and burned the insulation completly off. After cutting it off the main positive line clear throught the dash to the radio, I hooked the battery back up and absolutly nothing. I checked the fuses in the fuse box and everything is good. I looked at any wiring the burn wire was sitting on and does not look like it burned or melted any others together. My first thought is fusable links under the hood. Does anyone know about where some or all of them might be?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 AM

@ samtraton, chances are it IS the links,there are 3 on th e4.3 blazers one is a few inches away from the battery before it goes into the pcm the other 2 are behind the engine inside the wire wrap -99% imposable to get too. i bypassed all 3 on my truck and threw in my own link-havnt had a problem yet. its kinda a dick but it can be done its a big fat red that youll find if you run a jumper wire will probably light you up!i found mine in the right upper corner by the wiper motor inside one of those wire wwraps good luck man!!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to some wiring diagrams. Hope they help.

I know on my 95 Blazer the Alt. had two wires on it...one coming from the battery and the other going to the power dist. block (junction block) on the driver-side fender.

Once I hooked up the other wire going to the junction block..I had power to everything.

EDIT: Just looked at your wiring diagram and you have the 2 wires on the alt. too....that supply power to the Junction Block. I would check to see if you have voltage at the junction block...if not....and it is connected to the alt...then it is more than likely the wire or fuse-able link in the wire.

Last edited by Frog; 05-17-2011 at 10:12 PM.