Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Not ideling right, check engine light on at times

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM
kpiper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not ideling right, check engine light on at times

I have an 89 s-10 blazer with a 4.3 engine. When I start the engine it idels very low, but after a minute or so it will start to idle "normally" but the check engine light comes on. When driving down the road sometimes it will sputter and stall and almost always sputter and stall when you really hit the gas. thinking that it might be the injectors, I've ran injector cleaner through the gas tank twice and it has not helped. The timing is good so I dont believe that to be an issue. It has new plugs, wires,cap and rotor. with the cost of sensors, valves, injectors, etc. I am hopeing that someone might be able to point me in the right direction here. Any help that you can give would be great. Thanks, -kpiper

Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Not ideling right, check engine light on at times

I forgot to mention, it does smell as if its running very rich.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:48 PM

I was doing some checking. does anyone think that it may be the oxygen sensor is causing the problem? Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
-kpiper

Old 12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the codes? The computer is trying to tell you something with the check engine light being on...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 PM

I have not been able to check them yet. A friend of mine is suppost to be bringing somthing to check it with. I was just trying to figure out some things that I can try in the meantime since who knows when he will make it over here. do you have any suggestions on some things I can check?
Thanks for your help.
kpiper

Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Usually Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts do code searches for no charge.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:02 PM

Ok...so, I feel kinda stupid....well, ok...just plain stupid! My buddy made it over today with his computer, a Matco Determinator, if that makes any difference. It was showing that the code was for a MAP/MAF signal error. After looking closer we found that a vaccuum line to the MAP sensor came off. Hooked it back up and now it runs like a top again with no check engine light. Sorry about wasting anyones time on this. I guess I was just being my typical self and fearing the worst. Thanks to all those that replyed and its great knowing that this forum is here!
-Kpiper

Old 12-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it was easy to fix! No time wasted, we're all here to help!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it fixed rock head.

This forum is more then just a fix it site. Lots of great poeple on here, chek out hte general chit-chat section. Try for truck of the month too. We like nothing better then hearing and seeing new faces. Welcome!!!

Old 12-15-2007, 06:28 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point

All that really matters here is that it is fixed.