Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

not to sure on this one

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Beginning Member
984dr2wd is on a distinguished road
Default not to sure on this one

its a friends 2000 4dr 4wd he spun a bearing so he bought a parts truck and pulled the motor and trans out and put in his now it wont shift on its own and the speedo is a no go he said he replaced the little cpu on the side of the trans and that didnt do any thing any ideas? on mine i am on my 5th trans sence ive had it dec 2010 and the last one i put in it my self cuz i had lost my job and now when i shift it from park the digital dash selector wont go to the gear its really in unless i pull it down to first and go back up and it will only go down to 3rd or it wont read at all im not sure on mine either any help would be apperciated. btw i cant spell all that well sometimes lol

Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to make sure that it is connected properly? It is located on the rear output housing of the transfer case. The VSS controls the speedo and feeds info to the PCM to control transmission shifting.

Your other problem sounds like the transmission position sensor is faulty or improperly adjusted. How difficult was it to get the electrical connector out of the old sensor?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have you checked the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to make sure that it is connected properly? It is located on the rear output housing of the transfer case. The VSS controls the speedo and feeds info to the PCM to control transmission shifting.

Your other problem sounds like the transmission position sensor is faulty or improperly adjusted. How difficult was it to get the electrical connector out of the old sensor?

I didnt remove it i took the box off of my trans and put it on the new one but i did notice the housing was cracked by it as if someone had tryed before and thank you for the feed back

Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Beginning Member

So the vss showed good according to scan sltool any other ideas hope you can come up with something cus im stumped

Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The no-shift & inop speedo point to the VSS. How did you test it with a scan tool? What were the readings? Have you tested the mV-AC output with a multimeter (vehicle safely supported on jack stands, transmission in gear while you probe the pins on the VSS)? How about the resistance on the wires back to the PCM? All of the wiring is detailed in other posts.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

he did it with a muti scan and reader and im not sure what he got for readings i will ask him tommrow and let you know