Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Kyleashley6 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil leak

Hello, new to this forum but hopefully I can get some help.
I just bought a 96 4dr blazer and got a great deal on it for the mileage at only 89,000 it has been running great and I’ve had very little problems out of it other then changing water pump and ball joints. My issue I’m having now is an oil leak. It’s leaking from the front and when I take the front cover off where you access the oil filter I can see oil dripping down off of lines but can’t tell what lines are which. I’m not a very experienced mechanic but I can dive into anything with some instructions and maybe a couple videos on YouTube. But with my little experience I’m not even able to diagnose this will to know what needs fixed. Is there any common oil leaking issues from where I’m explaining? Also I check my engine transmission and power steering fluid each time I start and stop driving and it’s not showing that it’s low on either one but I’m getting a nice little spot on the ground.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:03 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kyleashley6
Hello, new to this forum but hopefully I can get some help.
I just bought a 96 4dr blazer and got a great deal on it for the mileage at only 89,000 it has been running great and I’ve had very little problems out of it other then changing water pump and ball joints. My issue I’m having now is an oil leak. It’s leaking from the front and when I take the front cover off where you access the oil filter I can see oil dripping down off of lines but can’t tell what lines are which. I’m not a very experienced mechanic but I can dive into anything with some instructions and maybe a couple videos on YouTube. But with my little experience I’m not even able to diagnose this will to know what needs fixed. Is there any common oil leaking issues from where I’m explaining? Also I check my engine transmission and power steering fluid each time I start and stop driving and it’s not showing that it’s low on either one but I’m getting a nice little spot on the ground.
Yes, its very common for engine oil to seep from the oil cooler/remote oil filter adapter lines at the crimped fittings. There are two sets of double lines:

1. From engine to remote oil filter
2. From remote oil filter to radiator

#1 is not easy to replace with the engine in, and both sets are pretty expensive - but people do it. I replaced mine when I had the engine out.

I would ask myself is it worth spending $100-$200 and laying in the grease for a weekend to not have the drips? If the answer is yes, then go for it! I'm sure you can find some youtube videos on doing the job.

Dorman lines are known to be junk. There are instructions in this forum on cutting off the metal lines on your old ones and replacing the hose. Also people take to local A/C hose shop to have them make fittings with professionally crimped hoses attached. Myself I had good luck with AC Delco ones purchased on Amazon. Replaced both sets and dry for 30K so far.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-10-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:31 PM
Kyleashley6 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply! After watching a few videos it does look like it’s probably out of my range of comfort to tackle it myself for now. But mechanically if I leave it and keep my oil topped off it won’t cause any harm?

Old 04-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I've seen 2 blazers where the lines popped out at one of these swaged ends....one the guy was paying attention and shut it off , the other seized the engine . If its leaking good I would deal with as soon as I could ..better safe than sorry......maybe at a minimum you could put a good hose clamp over the swaged ends just for a bit more compression on the hose...for now.