Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM
andrea is on a distinguished road
Post Oil Pan

I was just in a car accident with my Chevy Blazer 4D. I have a push guard on the front of it, and the impact of my accident happened to push my whole engine back about a inch and a half, and the oil pan struck a bolt and now the oil pan has a hole the size of a bolt in it.
I was wondering if it was worth it to buy a new oil pan, and try and fix the problem. But then i thought, i don't know if there are any others problems with it, since everything was pushed back. Is there any way of telling there are other problems?? I have no engine lights on, and it drives find, but obviously i can't drive it with no oil. Any suggestions?
thankss.

UPDATE: july 15th.

Called a pro. && he said that i could apoxy the hole, and it probably will work. He has already done it to two cars before, and it worked perfectly fine. After i do the apoxy, i have to take it to get aligned to see if frame is bent, or any other problems. If the frame is fine, and the apoxy doesn't work, it'll be 1,000 to have a whole new oil pan. But the problem is if there is anything wrong with the frame or axle, or anything else. I'll be fixing most of it tonight, hopefully drivable by tomorrow night, and then out to get it checked out.
thankss.

Last edited by andrea; 07-15-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: updating situation
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

Ouch sorry to hear that..Is the engine still pushed back? Check to make sure your Distributor didnt hit the firewall...And how did you test drive it with a hole in the pan? Did You plug it first?

Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you actually did push the engine back 1.5 inches you have a lot more problems than just the hole in the oil pan. See a professional.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rriddle3
If you actually did push the engine back 1.5 inches you have a lot more problems than just the hole in the oil pan. See a professional.
i agree, i have a feeling that the hole in the oil pan is going to be the least of your worries.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Beginning Member
1995 Blazer is on a distinguished road

yea my friend hit a phone pole and did the same thing pushed the engine back and that car went to the junkie

Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
andrea is on a distinguished road
Default oil pan

The engine when it pushed back and hit the oil pan, it hit the bolt and the pushed back out...Its not like the oil pan is stuck with the bolt inside of it...it seems the engine pushed back out on impact. But most of you say its the least of my problems, which really suck, cause i can even afford a new or used car..
Its actually going into the shop today, but who knows how long it will sit at a shop and wait for it to be looked at.