Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil Pan Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
tawd77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Pan Removal

I have a 2000 Blazer 4x4 w/ 4.3l and auto tranny. I need to take the oil pan off. Do I need to take the motor mount bolts out and lift the engine to get this out? Does the front differential have to come out to get the pan off?

I took the pan off of a 1997 chevy 1500 truck with 4.3l and I didnt have to remove the motor mounts, but it was 2wd. Hopefully the blazer will be that easy. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Oil Pan Removal

With any '98+ 4.3L, the engine must be disconnected from the transmission bellhousing to allow for proper alignment of the oil pan upon reassembly. The cast aluminum oil pan is a structural component of the engine and transmission connection and precise placement is required for this. It may be possible to pull the pan and get it aligned properly without pulling the transmission, but you may then have to remove the front timing cover. The oil pan is sandwiched between the timing cover at the front and the transmission bellhousing in the rear. If you could do this without damaging the seals, then you will either have to remove the front axle, or jack the engine if there is enough room to do so (which I doubt).

Book calls for the removal of the engine to remove the oil pan.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:22 PM
tawd77 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are tons of help, Thanks! The 97 chevy truck that i took the pan off of, It had an aluminum oilpan with 2 large rubber plugs at the rear that had to be removed to access 2 bolts. Is this the same pan that I will be dealing with on the Blazer? I got that pan off without having to remove the engine from the transmission. Maybe i just got lucky? But it went back together and the pan sealed back up great. Let me know what you think.Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, same pan.

I think your best bet would be to remove the front axle which is no easy task, but I do not think that you will gain enough clearance by unbolting the mounts and jacking the motor up. You could try that first though.