Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil in throttle body and intake. (Sonoma)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default Oil in throttle body and intake. (Sonoma)

As this is a 2.2L, I wouldn't usually post it here... but I'm stumped. The Sonoma work truck (as featured in "laugh at this!" thread) has only gotten worse latelyas far as power goes. We though it was trying to override a sensor to begin with, and indeed it was. After replacing the O2 sensor ayear ago,it got better. Now a new problem has developed. I took the intake off to see if our problem was there, and I found that the intake and throttle body was coated with engineoil. "How did it get there?" was my first thing to deal with. A small hose connectsto intake cavity and a fitting on the valve cover, and the inside of it was also coated with oil.What does this hose do? PCV? Vacuum hose?

I cleaned the throttle body and it does better, but I think it likely gummed up the plugs and/or injectors. My main thing is to find out what the hose goes to and what function it serves.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
BF Veteran
Default RE: Oil in throttle body and intake. (Sonoma)

No help guys???

Old 07-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if a Blazer came with a 2.2L you'd have more responses, but I don't have anything that shows the vacuum hose routing for the 2.2L so sorry...

Have you checked the compression on the cylinders? Its possible you are getting excessive blowby on a cylinder, aerating the oil causing it to be sucked up by the PCV system and into the intake.

Could you maybe help us out and snap a picture of the hose you are talking about?

*EDIT* - One more thing I just thought of... The PCV valve should go to manifold vacuum (ie into the intake manifold) and the vent line should go to the intake before the throttle body so it draws in filtered air whenever is necessary. If these are reversed and the vent is being supplied with manifold vacuum, you could be pulling all of the aerated oil in suspension in the engine into the intake unrestricted... But this should also result in a higher idle just like any other vacuum leak would...

Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 PM
BF Veteran

I'll check on it. Pic by Monday... going camping 4 the weekend!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Brokedude is an unknown quantity at this point

What year is the truck?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:18 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

That hose IS the PCV hose, the PCV is in the valve cover where that hose attatches..you turn the nut off of it to access the valve IIRC..and the fact that you are asking this question means you NEED a new PCV valve.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran

We just took it to a mechanic. He said he'd do a full throttle body and intakecleaning and a PVC replacement. Thanks for the help guys!

BTW it is a 99 Sonoma