Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Throttle body spacer and cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Parkonahill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Throttle body spacer and cold air intake

I have a PowerAid throttle body spacer already installed on my 98 blazer and I also wanna get a FIPK cold air intake from K&N. I've heard that if you have both of these the hood will hit the air intake? Does it just rub a little bit on it or does it smash it? If it's just a little rub I'd be ok with that but I'm not gonna buy it if it's gonna get damaged. Thanks

Old 10-18-2008, 11:25 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Throttle body spacer and cold air intake

I haven't looked at the TB spacers enough to see exactly how they mount but my K&N FIPK uses an adapter to mount to the TB.

I think it would be safe to say that it will hit the hood.

First pic is a close up of the adapter on the TB and the second pic was taken shortly after installing the FIPK and you can see the dust on the top of the intake from where its hitting the foam/sound dampener thing on the hood.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Dang, that sucks. I would rather have the cold air intake than the throttle body spacer but i don't really feel like takin the throttle body spacer off. Are all cold air intakes for blazers that tall style? Or do other brands not stick up as high?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe if you want that 2inches back you could always do a body lift. I have a TB spacer and a airaid intake which uses half of the stock one. I have no problems.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Yea i've heard that that solves the problem but I don't really wanna go to all the work. I have another car that I blow all my money on, this is just my winter driver/trip car so i was just puttin these parts on for the gas mileage.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Starting Member

Well these came on my car when I bought it a few months ago. Im only getting about 20mpg highway. My 4door which was heavier, got about the same. If i was you i'd spend the $80 or $160 and get your ecu programmed. People have had about a 2-4mpg increase, plus the extra hp/tq gain.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 PM

Ok thanks. Anybody else have easy mpg tips?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Were u talkin bout buying one of the ecu programmers? I thought those cost more than that?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: Parkonahill

Were u talkin bout buying one of the ecu programmers? I thought those cost more than that?
Nope this site http://wait4meperformance.com/

You can send them your ecu and they will program it for $80 or you can get a used one already modded for $160. It works better than the hypertec power programmer.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

+1 on the Wait4Me tune. I like mine