Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Over heating transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 06:43 PM
BritishColumbiafishing is on a distinguished road
Default Over heating transmission

2002 blazer 4 door
So was going camping/fishing for the weekend out in the mountains. Had my blazer packed to the **** it was very heavy. About 50 min into the drive my feet were cooking so I took it easy on the throttle and I am also climbing a mountain. About 1.5 hours into the drive I get to a severe logging road and i need to air down my tires. I start doing so as i notice transmission fluid spewing all over. So I drive till I get cell phone reception get a tow and the tow truck driver said I "feels like I'm picking up a 1 ton". I get to my mechanic's and apparently no cracks no broken lines no dripping at all. My fluid was still topped up and he is saying I over heated my transmission the rad and everything is fine as the truck is in very good condition. I have roughly 65, 00miles on my vehicle So now considering putting an intercooler in which doesnt cost to much. Any opinions on this situation..??? Or recommendations

Old 04-23-2019, 07:37 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

If you got the funds, I would do it. Better off protecting it as much as possible, and maybe drive like your towing a trailer. Probably will help if you that packed and heavy...

Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Not gonna hurt anything to install an additional transmission cooler. Maybe even see if there's a way you can add a temp guage, so you can keep a better eye on it.

I've always heard it's not recommended to tow in overdrive, maybe do the same if you have it loaded down like that?

Still seems weird to me it would overheat like that. I pulled a pretty heavy trailer (truck couldn't get above 60 mph on level ground, engine running hot, and the back end squatted several inches) over 200 miles, and didn't have any signs of the transmission getting hot

Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Default Very odd

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Not gonna hurt anything to install an additional transmission cooler. Maybe even see if there's a way you can add a temp guage, so you can keep a better eye on it.

I've always heard it's not recommended to tow in overdrive, maybe do the same if you have it loaded down like that?

Still seems weird to me it would overheat like that. I pulled a pretty heavy trailer (truck couldn't get above 60 mph on level ground, engine running hot, and the back end squatted several inches) over 200 miles, and didn't have any signs of the transmission getting hot
yeah I found it very odd I had 2 big dogs girlfriend camping gear and fly fishing gear nothing extremely heavy....

Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

That doesnt sound that heavy....

Old 04-23-2019, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Yeah, that's not that much stuff. Seems like something weird is going on

Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I burned up my 3/4 clutch pack by towing 2,200 lbs of boat and trailer on long trip/over steep grades several times per year over about 7 years. When I had the transmission rebuilt I had an extra cooler installed in series with the radiator cooler.

I also installed an OBD-II gauge system that plugs into the OBD port so that I could monitor the transmission temperature. Our 4L60Es have a temperature sender unit in them but they are not wired to our instrument panel. This is what I used to access the trans temp: UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

It is not the only OBD-II gauge system but I liked the price and the display. As a bonus you can use it to monitor and have warnings go off if the transmission or engine cooling fluids get to hot.

Another nice thing about the OBD-II gauge system is that you get a simple code reader. It is not as fancy as the nice ones but still convenient to have for clearing codes too.

Here is more information on transmission temperature issues: Transmission Overheating: Your Worst Enemy - Transmission Repair Guy

Last edited by christine_208; 04-23-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:33 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

A trans running in overdrive will get very hot if the torque converter clutch is not working. Just saying.....

Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

if the transmission fluid level is good after loosing some I would say it may have been overfilled and when heated up it spit it out. I would check the level in transfer case for being overfilled. Get the biggest PLATE type (not tube and fin)type cooler you can fit on front of vehicle. Good luck
Brad

Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 AM

Drove my truck empty about 109km with no load and an empty truck. The trans did not over heat and seemed to he fine. Then next morning drove the same distance back. The drive was downhill also, so I check under my truck and there it is dripping trans fluid from the overflow again.... it drives fine sounds good seems fine most of the time. I have an unconditional warranty on any lubricated parts through bg oil up to $3000 so I am not very concerned..
Mind you this is my offroad vehicle