Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

p0785 help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Starting Member
Charder is on a distinguished road
Default p0785 help please!

i just bought a 97 blazer. the ses light was on when i got it, so i ran the codes to find a random misfire and bad o2 sensor, later on in the week it shifted hard out of 1st then seemed to be stuck in 3rd, and the ses light was back on, now pulled a p0785 code for shift timing soleniod. when i bought the truck i was told the trans was replaced with a rebuilt one 20,000 miles ago(im getting recipts this week from said work) i dont know what to check or replace first. when i searched the problem i seen it could be a problem with the igniton switch, which i do have problems turning the keyy sometimes, so any help would be appriciated, thanks
should i replace the igniton switch?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the trouble code sheet:
P0785 - Shift Timing Solenoid

And a quick search turns up the following threads.

I would start with the trouble code sheet and see where that leads you. As the search results linked to above show (and you have already found), others have had a lot of transmission codes that ended up being caused by a problem with the ignition switch in the steering column. I'm not convinced that is your issue, but given that you sometimes have trouble turning the key, it is possible. The ignition switch itself shouldn't cause the key to turn rough though. That is more indicative of a problem with the ignition lock cylinder itself which may be able to be cured with a new key or possibly with some lock lubricant.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Starting Member

ive been searching the problem just thought i could maybe get a more direct answer. and i figured the key was worn but also figured id metion it just incase it lead me to a fail ignition switch. and if your not convinced its an igniton switch what do suppose it is?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Without going through the diagnostic sheet, I really do not want to speculate, but it could be a dirty 3-2 shift valve (which is what is controlled by the 3-2 shift solenoid). The diagnostic process should get you to the root cause.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Starting Member

would driving like this cause damage to anything?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Administrator

That really depends on what is causing the issue.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Starting Member

i replaced the ignition switch but that did not help with the code and still doesnt shift. but now my alarm wont stop going off whenever i open the door or close the door or anything else i do.. is there a way to disable the alarm, i never even knew it had an alrm till i did this and i have no key fob. btw its a facotry alarm

Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Why did you replace the ignition switch? Did the diagnostic procedure lead you to that being the culprit? Did you do a passlock relearn after the ignition switch was replaced?

Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Starting Member

i just started with process of elimination and no i didnt do a passlock relearm, how do i do that?