Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Please help my hubby sons blazer will only go in reverse & park

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM
bechmans is on a distinguished road
Default Please help my hubby sons blazer will only go in reverse & park

My son has a 2000 blazer that stopped shifting gears. We went to the junkyard and got a transmission and a torque convertor and replaced his. Truck is all back together and it will shift into park or reverse but won't shift into any other gear. This has been the most awful thing...my hubby has worked himself to death on this as we couldn't afford to get someone to fix it for us and it has taken forever! Any help would be appreciated before he drops the whole thing again. I don't think I can take it. I have been trying to read others posts but I just can't seem to find this particular problem. Thank you all SO much!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:37 PM
roypai is on a distinguished road

Hate to say it but it really sounds like something internal to the transmission - The transmissions are a 4L60e, so if you mix that into your search terms on google then you'll get the results that led me to that idea. Things like 'input/forward sprag', and 'output shaft' come up.

I dropped my transmission and re-built it last christmas and I can't think of anything that possibly could've been done during installation of the transmission that would've caused that sort of thing, which makes me think it was bad from the boneyard.

I too worked myself to death on my project, but I'm certain if I ever had to drop it again I'd be able to do it alot faster with alot less swearing. (I actually tried swapping in a 4L65e from a fullsize first - it was just a little longer in the front - diddn't figure that out till I had it up underneath trying to make it fit - MANY words were spoken....)

Don't give up! any info I've got rattling around in my head I'm happy to share!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry,not much you can do unless you have some good experience in transmissions. you got a bad one from the yard. time to do it over again. Only one from a vehicle thats been wrecked (at least they were driving it,doesn't mean its good but increases chances). if you dont pull your own parts then good luck,alot of junkyards don't thoroughly check things.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Beginning Member
the DJ is on a distinguished road

Can you shift manually? Is the odometer working?
Maybe the vss is bad.
Are there any weird noises when you move the shifter?
The atf is at the correct level i assume.
When in reverse, is it driving like it did before?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
bechmans is on a distinguished road
Default Update

The transmission came out of a wreck at the junkyard so we assumed it was working. When he takes the shift cable lose and lets it hang so we can see it and moves the gear shift it barely moves? It is full of ATF. Someone mentioned a Shift solenoid today but he doesn't know where it's located. He is still in garage exhausting possibilities before dropping it again. He will be on later tonight and try to explain better than I. Thanks all of you for helping, this is so frustrating to work all day and then all night on this thing.