Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Quick engine question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick engine question.

So I have a 97 blazer 4.3 MPI (vin code W). I hydrolocked the engine being stupid on the trail. Long story short, I have found a 2000 blazer 4.3 with a manual tranny. Can I adapt my auto to the 4.3 and have it work properly? Also, would I need the computer off the 2000 or would I use the computer from my 97?

Thanks!
Chris Threlkeld.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Quick engine question.

The only real difference is in the oil pan and lack of the threaded holes for the support rods that your 97 motor has. Pretty much any other differences may be in sensors which you will be able to reuse from your old motor.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:18 PM

Well are the threaded holes 100% necesarry? Or can I just tap a couple holes and make them work?

Old 10-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The holes are for the transmission support bars. The newer engine will have an aluminum oil pan which you can swap over to your steel one. I am not sure if the new engine has the bosses where the transmission support bars attach. I am not exactly sure how critical having the support bars are either. I know that I have only seen these bars on the s-series trucks and not on the fullsize trucks which share the transmission for the lighter duty models.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 AM

Interesting. Well I will have to find an engine here soon, the one I was lookin at sold underneith me. Oh well such is life right?