Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Repair or replace my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
1sttimejimmy are you saying saying that besides the mess on the floor (which I fully expected) there is no problem internally (as in fluids going to the wrong places) leaving all the top end stuff (intakes, heads, etc) on the engine and turning it upside down to work on the bottom end?

The re-manufactured engine I'm looking at comes with a 3yr warranty. I'm not a certified mechanic, but I worked in a speed shop for a short time back the early '80s as a teenager which got me hooked on car mechanics as a hobby. Since then I work on my cars, friends cars, family cars. I did have a few years where I didn't touch cars because of all the computer crap. That is definitely my weakness. I'm learning a lot from you guys on that part and you can count on questions being fired atcha. I have a 4 car garage (reason I bought the house) that I set up into a pretty decent shop. About the only thing I am missing is a lift (and I'd have one too if the friggin ceiling was two feet higher

Not worried about the mechanical inclined part, just the time. I tend to pay very close attention to detail so my work generally takes twice or three times as long as someone else. So the time factor is the main thing now. Get it out, get it in for this one...that's why I am leaning more to Option "C". My other Blazer is my hobby Blazer that I am in the midst of a complete rebuild.

Yes it can be done rather easily.I have done it many times.

If I rember though you said your old motor had high miles so option C could be a better idea.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:38 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

you could always go with the low mileage salvage motor and just pop it in... that's what I did, motor cost me $525 (49k mi)... gaskets and mounts and good to go...

Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough
Default Remanufactured Casting Numbers?

Hey Guys,
Need you to learn me something. So unless something changes, I intend on ordering a re-manufactured engine tomorrow. Question is what do the "casting numbers" mean to me? I know it has to be important, because every engine I look up posts these. Example:

"Block Cast # 090; Left Head Cast # 5772, 6140, 107, 113, 114; Right Head Cast # 5772, 6140, 107, 113, 114; Crank Cast # 480; Cam Cast # 691; MFI(FuelDelSubType); Vortec; Central MFI(FuelSystDesi.); ROLLER LIFTERS; WITH BALANCE SHAFT; SAE BOLTS FOR MOTOR MOUNTS & BELL HOUSING"

The beginning of this thread explains what I will be doing (Option "C"). Do I need to look for anything in the "casting numbers"? Or for what I am doing (straight across engine swap) does it not matter? Thanks Guys!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM

All those numbers represent alot of things.,Where the block and heads were manufactured.The year the block and heads cast.While I can not give you specific detail information you can look up on a google and there is a site that will tell what all those numbers mean exactly

Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Default Please advise on engine purchase asap

1998 Blazer LS, ZR2, 2dr, 4X4, 4.3L Vortek (Vin "W")(218,000 miles), Stick NVG3500 transmission with internal hydraulic slave clutch, NV233 transfer case…and for the purposes of this thread RPO code L35.

I had planned on to ordering the re-manufatured engine outlined at the bottom of this post today, maybe with your help I still can. My challenge is, as you will see the engine specifically states “MFI(FuelDelSubType); Vortec; Central MFI(FuelSystDesi.)

Hopefully this is a quick engine swap and I need to insure that the parts I take from the old engine to mount on the new engine will work without any modifications or changes needing to be made Especially the fuel delivery system and upper/lower intakes. The website states this engine is an “exact fit” for my Blazer. Now this is where I am banging my head on the wall due to spending hours last night and today searching threads and the internet in general:

The RPO on the firewall and the glove box for engine type is “L35” which translates to “Engine: 4.3L V6, CPI”. However I have been on threads and other posting where people keep claiming there were no CPI’s on ’98 Blazers. More confusion sets in when the only choice auto parts stores have as my type Blazer is “SFI”. Then throw MFI into the mix as in the engine below.

So, CPI or SFI, will I be able to use my current fuel delivery and intakes on this engine without any mods or changes? i.e. Is there a difference in the heads (or anything else) that would not match up with the old engine parts I need to bring over?

Also, is there exterior differences between a CPI, SFI or MFI fuel system that I could look for to determine which one I have? I really appreciate anyone’s help on this as soon as you can. Thanks a ton!

The re-manufactured engine:

Block Cast # 090; Left Head Cast # 5772, 6140, 107, 113, 114; Right Head Cast # 5772, 6140, 107, 113, 114; Crank Cast # 480; Cam Cast # 691; MFI(FuelDelSubType); Vortec; Central MFI(FuelSystDesi.); ROLLER LIFTERS; WITH BALANCE SHAFT; SAE BOLTS FOR MOTOR MOUNTS & BELL HOUSING

Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Nope cpi engines use diffrent heads than the mfi.and sfi..Cpi was made for engines 95 and earlier.96-2000 was sfi.Then MFI was released and a more superior than both the other 2.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 PM

So jimmy, if my engine is SFI (which everything/body but the RPO states it is) are you saying SFI and MFI use the same heads and I am good to go for the engine I posted?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by rockp2
So jimmy, if my engine is SFI (which everything/body but the RPO states it is) are you saying SFI and MFI use the same heads and I am good to go for the engine I posted?
Yes the heads are both true vortec heads.I beleive the intake manifolds are similair as well because the MFI system will interchange with sfi.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks much!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 PM

Dont know if its too late or not but i didnt answer your all of your question.
Exterior diffierences.

Engines late 95 and up polymer plastic timing chain cover with internal crank sensor.
Older metal timing chain cover with crank sensor on the side of the block.

cpi intakes big bad azz looking aluminum planum with inferior injection system.Throttle plate is in the front of it.
sfi bottom of the intake looks similair to cpi but upper is polymer platic manifold with throttle body in the center.Somewhat better more reliable injection system with similar poppet sysle injecters internal.
SFI intake manifold varys slightly from sfi looks sorta like cpi but polymer plastic with aluminum bottom.Does away with the poppet style injectors most superior to all injection systems out of the 3.Both the latter intakes are wider due to change in bolt pattern and newer vortec heads.
Any engine that says vortec pryor before 96 is not a true votec engine.You can tell the differnce between them by looking at the combustion chambers.
Hope that helps out more.

Quick Reply: Repair or replace my engine?