Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Repair or replace my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Thanks jimmy. No doubt have sfi. It just was confusing me because my rpo is L35. I think I now what the problem may be...wanted to look more into it, but I think cpi and cfi are being interchanged as terms incorrectly. I think that is what threw me off.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

You have the same engine I have.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough
Default Remanufactured engine ordered

Last night I ordered a re-manufactured engine. I held off until I could determine for sure if the engine was SAE tranny and motor mount bolts or metric. The problem was with the sad-sack R&R that the PO did on this vehicle, I wasn't quite sure. When I dropped the tranny there was a mixture of SAE and metric threaded bolts. Same thing when I changed the motor-mounts. 3/8 x 16TPI and 10.5mm are so close that it isn't hard to use either bolt and screw up the threads without barely noticing it.

Spoke with the rep at the engine company and was told to look for the casting number on the back of the block just below the passenger side head. I knew where he was referring because I have my '97 engine completely stripped down waiting to go to the the machine shop. I can see that casting number plain as day (obviously). This swap is for my '98 and the engine is still in the Blazer and I'm driving it.

So after an hour or so using mirrors, scopes and flashlights I couldn't locate the casting number. The location is right at the firewall and has wiring harness and such that makes it difficult to see the location.

Finally, I went back to my TSM and found where it said that engines made in "Towanda" have the casting number located on the forward portion of the block on the passenger side. Sure enough, there it was...easy as hell to see, cast right there by the #2 cylinder. *sigh*

For anyone else that needs to try and determine if there block is SAE or metric, you are looking for the cast string of numbers that end in "090". If there is an "M" after the "090", then you have a metric block. If it just ends in "090", then it is SAE.

Now I await the phone call stating my engine is in.