Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

replacing trans in a 96 4x4.......HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008 | 11:59 AM
bzmotoninja83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replacing trans in a 96 4x4.......HELP!!!!!!

my friend/mechanic is doing the trans swap for me. he fought the trans all day saturday and finally got it out. he had to remove the torque converter bolts to get the trans out with barely enough room. the question i have is, is there a specill trick to get this monster back in to the blazer? like do i have to move the diff and pitmanarm to remove the oilpan to get more room to get the converter bolts started? or can i hold the trans up there and slide the converter out a hair so the case isnt up against the engine? this is the first ive ever seen kick his a$$ like this. every other veh ive been under has that sheild you can remove to get at the bolts...... please help me.......

thanks in advance!!!!!

Bill Z

Old 09-14-2008 | 03:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: replacing trans in a 96 4x4.......HELP!!!!!!

You should have enough room between the oil pan and the flex plate with the dust sheild out of the way. If you do not, then you can remove the starter and have straight on access to the bolts. You will just need to spin the motor over to get each one to line up properly.

There is no way to pull the flex plate out more to get more room to access them and I would not recommend removing the oil pan. That just opens up a new can of worms!

Old 09-15-2008 | 05:09 PM
bzmotoninja83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: replacing trans in a 96 4x4.......HELP!!!!!!

im thinkin i need to go b/t the starter hole because i have the cast aluminum pan and the trans has no dust sheild like im used to. thanks for the re-assuring info swartlkk l8r dood