Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Reverse works, No forward gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:40 PM
visonik is on a distinguished road
Default Reverse works, No forward gears

Hello everyone,

2000 blazer 4.3L. 2wd - 125,000miles

Due to economic restraints the blazer has been sitting since the issue arose. I've made sure to start it often and let it idle just to keep fluids running.

Now I find more time to possible tackle the problem, if it is something I can indeed tackle. The vehicle isn't a daily driver, now anyways so I can take my time with the repairs.

The problem is this: With out warning as I left work I had little to now forward gears. Reverse works fine. If I forced it in 2 or 3rd it will begrudgingly move forward, though not something I've done with it often.

My question is. What are the easy thing first kind of things I could check such as solenoids or a filter repair. I'm new to transmission repair but have spent a lot of time with other engine repairs, most all of them under the hood and not under the vehicle. The people on this site seem unbelievably helpful and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How comfortable are you messing with a modern automatic transmission? There are a lot of ways to mess up if you are not comfortable or experienced in working on it.

For the condition you describe, there are many different things that could cause it. Failing solenoids, clutches, bands, etc. Even though you stated that you had economic constraints, but the best way to not waste money is to have someone with the proper diagnostic tools determine the cause for the problem. It could be anything from an easily replaced solenoid to a full on rebuild.

If you really wanted to fix it yourself, the best option would be to find a good used transmission.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 PM
s10blaze85 is on a distinguished road

your 1st gear cluch went out in the transmission, you can eather go down to the junck yard and pull a used one, rebuild it or have it rebuilt

Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 PM
s10blaze85 is on a distinguished road

im looking at the same thing with mine....................mines an 85 with 72,000 on it and the same thing happed like you said, left work reverse works fine but no first slow 2nd and rilly slow 3rd