Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

shift solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member
jkfrost77 is on a distinguished road
Default shift solenoids

had a quick question:

im getting ready to install the two shift solenoids for my transmission, but im thinking that the solenoids arent the problem.

(while im driving on the road) my transmission will stop going into gear until i pull over and cut the truck off then cut it right back on. after i cut the truck right back on the transmission shifts great.

(when the truck is in my drive way) if the truck has been idling for a while it will slooowly go into gear, both reverse and drive do the same thing, slooowly. but, again, if i cut the truck off and cut it right back on it will go into gear just fine (reverse or drive, just fine)

thats why im thinking its not a solenoid because isnt a solenoid like a light bulb - it either works or it dont? it wouldn't be slooowly going into gear?

im not really looking for an answer to my problem, i just want to know if this sounds like a solenoid problem

by the way, theres no 'hard' shift, just slowly into gear or not at all (until i cut it off and then back on) but never a hard shift. thanks

1998 chevy blazer LS v6 4.3L 4x4

Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Is there a SES light on? if its the solenoid then usually the SES light will come one and you will get a P0740 or a P0785 (i think)

Your SES light could also be burnt out so when you turn the key to run check to see if it lights up.

But if no light is coming on then i would say its not the solenoid, When you say slowly goes into gear do you mean you can press on the gas from a stop and your RPM's will increase but you wont move very fast?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member

the ses does work but it doesnt come on at all. and yes the rpms will go up but it doesnt move fast from a stand still.

i did get a code, it was p1870. the mech. told me that this code could be anything from a sensor to the transmission it self. he said 'transmission component slippage'

its believed that the problem is electrical because cutting the truck off then cutting it back on gets the transmission working just fine. ive been told that when i cut the truck off and then right back on im resetting something.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Yeah you're resetting the PCM. I actually just had the same problem with my truck two days ago. but i got the P0740 & P0785 code. ive also heard of the P1870 coming up as well. luckily for me tho i just went and had the codes cleared the next day (yesterday) and everything has been fine so far (knock on wood).

So i would say that your problem either lies in the PCM which is also referred to as the VCM i believe OR the Ignition switch. Ive seen a lot of people having problems with the ignition switch and getting that code.

Luckily there is a lot of information on here about this problem, so i would start searching, there is a few ways to test the ignition switch, and also the PCM so i would do that before you go through the trouble of replacing the solenoid

Start here first

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 03-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member

yeah, thats makes alot of sense. i knew i was resetting something, but i didnt know what.

ill research the pcm for my truck. as far as the p1870 code and my specific problem ive been from one end of the internet to the other and cant make heads or tails of it. but you gave me a good lead with the pcm thing, so thats where my focus will be next.

theres a bunch of things ive already done to the truck based on that code, but not the pcm or the ignition. kinda funny though, i wouldnt think an ignition switch would have anything to do with the transmission. but ill defiantly check it out

i appreciate that, thanks

Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Starting Member
oneil77 is on a distinguished road

my 97 blaze is giving me the same codes!! po 753 and po 758 solenoid A,B..po 740 torque converter circuit malfunction..and p 1860..soo did the ignition switch work for you?? or anyone els??

Old 08-19-2013, 04:25 AM

I never changed my ignition switch because my truck stopped doing it but it did it to me again not too long ago. But I'm about 99% Sure its the ignition switch. What happens is they get too hot over time and start to throw a fit. Most cases messing with the transmission but it controls almost everything so it can cause all sorts of weird problems and codes. Another common problem is your engine stalling for no reason.

So for you im 90% sure that's your problem, if you clear the codes and it drives fine for a while then look to the ignition switch. But maybe read on here how to test it before getting a new one.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:59 PM
pyroblazer is on a distinguished road

I've been having the same problem and then some, I've lost all movement but the RPM have increased. When I pulled the codes I got a P1870 code "transmission component slippage" when I dug a little into it I found someone say that its a control valve body but I cant seem to find anything about that. any thoughts?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:34 PM
pyroblazer is on a distinguished road