Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

should I do a cylinder hone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should I do a cylinder hone?

I had to replace a head gasket on my wife's 95 "W" blazer. The cylinder had some roughness from corrosion from some coolant which had been sitting in it, so I figured it needed to be taken out. It was about 1/2 inch high by 2.5 inches wide crescent shaped area right at the bottom of the stroke. I used a piece of 1000 grit sandpaper and lightly went over it til it seemed like it was gone.

The surface of that area definitely seems a little different from the surrounding areas since the glaze is gone (when I run a fingernail over it). I'm hoping to avoid having to get a cylinder micrometer just to check since it seems like I didn't take that much off. If it has to be honed, could it be done just with a flex hone or would it need a stone honing and a cross hatching? Any advice from somebody with some exp with this sort of thing is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To properly hone the cylinders, you should remove the pistons and re-ring it. I doubt you took off enough metal to say so with 1000 grit paper. I would just leave it as is.

How bad of a ridge is there at the top of the cylinder walls? If there is not much of a ridge, you should

A flex hone should be used to put the proper cross hatch pattern in if you were going to do that.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point

The ridge didn't seem too much, just from feeling it. There were some deposits on it that I cleaned off, but besides that I didn't pay too much attention to it. Could I just put a straightedge against the wall and slip some feeler gauge in there to check?

Seems like part of your reply got deleted somehow;

"If there is not much of a ridge, you should...."

Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I was moving things around in the order of how my response was worded and must have removed the last bit.

It should have read, "..., you should be good".