Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Sounds like spun bearing please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 PM
1998blazernewbie is on a distinguished road
Default Sounds like spun bearing please help!!

I have a 1998 Blazer I just bought off my brother. It has 104k miles in good shape never gave my brother any problems. Oil pressure has been good, runs great other than a misfire. I cleaned MAF, ran some seafom made it alittle better. Decided to changed cap and rotor and both looked worn. After replacing started right felt much better I was reving it to around 2500 rpm and then back to idle. After a few mins of running all the sudden I heard a small noise and then a sound like a really bad rod knock and lots of shaking in engine. Shut it off, started back up ran fine for a few seconds then really bad clunking sound in engine and shaking. All the wires are correct. Oil pressure still good. Any thoughts? I am praying it’s not a spun bearing.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1998blazernewbie
I have a 1998 Blazer I just bought off my brother. It has 104k miles in good shape never gave my brother any problems. Oil pressure has been good, runs great other than a misfire. I cleaned MAF, ran some seafom made it alittle better. Decided to changed cap and rotor and both looked worn. After replacing started right felt much better I was reving it to around 2500 rpm and then back to idle. After a few mins of running all the sudden I heard a small noise and then a sound like a really bad rod knock and lots of shaking in engine. Shut it off, started back up ran fine for a few seconds then really bad clunking sound in engine and shaking. All the wires are correct. Oil pressure still good. Any thoughts? I am praying it’s not a spun bearing.
Sounds like the engine has big internal damage, either from dropping something into it or maybe a piece of valve. Compression test?

Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 AM

can’t compression test running to rough afraid of spun bearing it may further damage engine might be doing a rebuild now. I have never had an engine go from running great to out of no where having a catastrophic failure. No oil pressure drop nothing. Would a broken flexplate bolt cause this kind of shaking?

Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1998blazernewbie
can’t compression test running to rough afraid of spun bearing it may further damage engine might be doing a rebuild now. I have never had an engine go from running great to out of no where having a catastrophic failure. No oil pressure drop nothing. Would a broken flexplate bolt cause this kind of shaking?
You don't do a compression test with the engine running. No, a broken flex plate would not do this. Spun bearings don't suddenly make an engine shake and misfire. Do the compression test. If you have one at zero, pressurize the cylinder using an air compressor and a hose adapter into the spark plug hole - then see where the air comes out. Intake, exhaust, or crankcase. Sounds like you dropped a piece of valve or some small part onto the top of the piston, and the piston now has a hole in it. Prepare yourself for this being a possibility, and the engine being toast. Sorry, but it seems the damage is already done.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:21 PM

It’s not th engine I had some time today started it up it didn’t make that sound then after a couple minutes started making it. It’s coming from the transmission. It’s making some kind of sound from the bell housing area that get worse if I rev it in park but not coming from engine. It’s loud enough at first that made me think it but engine is sounding fine. The sound from the trans is loud then stops and loud again.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:28 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You asked for help take it