Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Squealing sound and symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 02:24 PM
HDmechanic1 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Squealing sound and symptoms

I have been hearing a squealing noise for a few weeks now. I can hear it when I start my 1995 blazer and when I am driving. It sounds similar to the sound when your brakes start to go bad, but it is not the brakes. It comes from the engine area. It is constant, whether on the streets or the freeway, it sounds the same. Does not change with engine speed, except when I am stopped, it stops. In 2021 I purchased a remanufactured a/c compressor and installed it. My air conditioning is working great, haven't noticed anything going on with it. Could this sound be related to the clutch bearings going out? Would I hear the noise first before any symptoms in the a/c occur? What symptoms would occur if the bearings were bad? I just listened to it right now and it sounds like a rotational squeak when it is in park and idling.

Last edited by HDmechanic1; 12-27-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 05:23 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Buy or make a stethoscope out of a tire iron, pipe, metal rod, etc, hold one end in your fist, put the other end on each rotating item, place your ear against your fist and compare the volume and vibration on each item. Be careful everything is rotating.

George

Old 01-06-2024, 06:33 AM
Beginning Member
cartercarbaficionado is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by HDmechanic1
I have been hearing a squealing noise for a few weeks now. I can hear it when I start my 1995 blazer and when I am driving. It sounds similar to the sound when your brakes start to go bad, but it is not the brakes. It comes from the engine area. It is constant, whether on the streets or the freeway, it sounds the same. Does not change with engine speed, except when I am stopped, it stops. In 2021 I purchased a remanufactured a/c compressor and installed it. My air conditioning is working great, haven't noticed anything going on with it. Could this sound be related to the clutch bearings going out? Would I hear the noise first before any symptoms in the a/c occur? What symptoms would occur if the bearings were bad? I just listened to it right now and it sounds like a rotational squeak when it is in park and idling.
spray your belt with water or wd40 to see if the squealing stops, if it does then its not your ac compressor its something else, once it starts squealing again take a video of the belt and spray water at it since I'm trying to see if it's doing what mine did before it killed its water pump

Old 01-07-2024, 12:33 AM
HDmechanic1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cartercarbaficionado
spray your belt with water or wd40 to see if the squealing stops, if it does then its not your ac compressor its something else, once it starts squealing again take a video of the belt and spray water at it since I'm trying to see if it's doing what mine did before it killed its water pump
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:32 AM
dsk
Starting Member
dsk is on a distinguished road

Did you say that it only happens when you are moving? If so, I would suspect the drivetrain and not the engine.
Bad hub or CV maybe?