Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Starting Issus

Old 05-09-2012, 06:52 PM
sdumontjr5 is on a distinguished road
Default Starting Issus

I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me. I have a 2001 Bravada 4.3L...aka Blazer.

My vehicle died on me recently and won't restart. I don't know where to start at this point so I'll explain what has been going on.

I did a tune up approximately 1 1/2 years ago. Replaced Cap, Rotor, Wires and Plugs. Cap and Rotor were replaced probably 6 months after that again because the vehicle died on me one morning and it fixed that issue. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced a year ago and fixed my hard starting issue.

My vehicle was running extremly rough one day and I couldn't get any speed. The vehicle bogged down quite a bit. My fuel pump was already making a high pitch winding noise and I was told that it was going to die at any time so I thought this might have been causing my issue and replaced it along with the fuel filter. Well turns out that wasn't the issue and it was my Cat, so I had that replaced. I also cleaned my MAF Sensor and replaced my Air Filter.

My vehicle was running ok for about two weeks. I left work, put about 3/4 tank of fuel and was running some errands when my vehicle just died on me while driving and I couldn't get it restarted. I had it towed home.

This is where it now sits. I replaced my Cam Sensor and Rotor (only because a screw snapped while I was putting it back on and it was easier to buy a new rotor then find a replacement screw). Still nothing. Checked my fuel pressure at the fuel rail and I had nothing. Checked the new Fuel Filter I had just replaced and it was fine. While I had the fuel filter off I turned the key to the on position thinking that fuel would pour out of the line and I got nothing. Checked my fuses and swapped relays with no luck. So my thought was this new fuel pump that I had about 500 miles on it died, so I contacted the company and got a replacement. I put the new pump in tonight and double checked all the connections at the same time and the vehicle still won't start.

I'm ready to push this vehicle down the hill I live on and hope that it his a huge tree. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

spray some brake cleaner or starting fluid into the air intake and try starting it again, if it fires up then you know its a fuel issue, if it doesnt or you smell gas after trying to start it for so long then its a spark issue. you can buy those little spark testers for like 5 bucks at harbor freight or any hardware store. its so hard to guess without seeing the truck. if worst comes to worst tow it to a mechanic and make it his headache

Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

This is your FP test location in the fuse block, 'circled with letter 'O'.

Did you think to listen for the relay to click with key on?

Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by abig84
spray some brake cleaner or starting fluid into the air intake and try starting it again, if it fires up then you know its a fuel issue, if it doesnt or you smell gas after trying to start it for so long then its a spark issue. you can buy those little spark testers for like 5 bucks at harbor freight or any hardware store. its so hard to guess without seeing the truck. if worst comes to worst tow it to a mechanic and make it his headache
Sorry, should have mentioned that. Yes I used starting fluid in the throttle body and it started right up. I did check the plugs and have plenty of spark

Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog

I'll test this out next and let you know. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM

I don't have a tester so I'll pick one up tomorrow, but I did test the relay and I can feel the relay kicking on. I tried jumping the relay at 30 & 87, but still got nothing from the fuel pump..any other thoughts

Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Read the text in the diag. key on > 12v for 2 seconds. also if you jump a 12v wire to that test point the pump should run.
Key off, should read about 10 ohms or less in resistance. If no continuity, High ohms, you have a bad connection somewhere.
When you replced the fuel pump was the connector 2x2 or 1x4? Meaning one row of pins.

Last edited by pettyfog; 05-09-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Read the text in the diag. key on > 12v for 2 seconds. also if you jump a 12v wire to that test point the pump should run.
Key off, should read about 10 ohms or less in resistance. If no continuity, High ohms, you have a bad connection somewhere.
When you replced the fuel pump was the connector 2x2 or 1x4? Meaning one row of pins.
Ok...I used your test point. I was getting 11.90-11.96v and I'm getting 0 ohms. The connector is 1x4

Old 05-10-2012, 01:50 PM

I'm not sure my meter was reading the ohms correctly, but I'm almost positive I've found the culprit. I used a circuit tester to the connector at the fuel pump and i'm not getting anything. My guess is there is either a ground short somewhere or I have some bad wires....time to research before I go digging at the wires....

Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks for all the help. I finally figured out my issues and fixed it yesterday. It turns out my ground was ok, but the power wire was not. I'm not sure exactly where the wire was bad, but I tested the power wire at the harness and had nothing. I stripped the power wire near the fuel filter and had power there. So I cut the wire there and ran a new wire from that point back to the harness and she started up like a charm.