Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Starts and runs doesnt move!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 04:46 AM
Originalchrispy is on a distinguished road
Default Starts and runs doesnt move!!

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!! The low down is the engine is perfect. Starts, idles, revs fantastic. Pretty much rebuilt from the ground up. However, when shifting into Drive, Reverse, etc. The car doesnt move. Only revs up. 4wheel drive doesnt help either. The car was moving for a little bit but with major acceleration loss. The tranny was rebuilt as well so I'm assuming maybe torque converter or something? Shift solenoids have been replaced as well. Fluid has be changed (old fluid looked and smelled fine) no weird noise like something actually broke...again any help will be awesome!!

Old 01-16-2020, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
okaussie is on a distinguished road

Kind of sounds like my issue. They have suggested to me to check the connector from the PCM to cable going to the tranny and the connector from that cable to the connector on the Tranny. My issue only does it when it gets warm and parking it, shutting it off, restarting it does temporarily fix it.
Add checking the electrical to your troubleshooting list as well as any DTC codes.

Goodluck

Bill

Old 01-17-2020, 04:50 AM

Thank you for the advice! I plan on checking all the electrical running to and from the tranny for cracks, loose connections etc. Could a bad connection from a wire cause loss of power when accelerating? As well I've read you can start/stall test a car to test the torque converter but there are alot of warnings not to do it. Is worth trying to do that test or just remove the tranny and check it out. Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2020, 04:52 AM

As well I have to get a new battery to get it started and run it for codes. I believe it was completely clear when it stopped running but more information tomorrow!!

Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Did it just quit moving while driving or after driving it and parking it not move again?

Old 01-17-2020, 11:56 AM

It was being driven down the road in town and all of a sudden the rpms shot up and there was no more power. Not really any noises or anything like you'd expect if something actually broke. Just felt like if you were to bump the shifter lever into neutral or something.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:22 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Originalchrispy;717712]It was being driven down the road in town and all of a sudden the rpms shot up and there was no more power. Not really any noises or anything like you'd expect if something actually broke. Just felt like if you were to bump the shifter lever into neutral or something.[/QUOTE

With that kind of failure it’s going to be a pump I’m convinced. Very very common on these units and just happens out of the blue. To help confirm this check fluid level after truck has been sitting for several hours before starting. The fluid should be 3/4 to 1 inch above The full Mark. Then start the vehicle and check the reading again if it has

gotten lower you can 95% rule out the pump is the problem. If the level has not changed from cold it’s not circulating the fluid and the pump is broken.
good luck
Brad

Old 01-17-2020, 10:48 PM

I will check the fluid level before and after starting the car! If it doesnt change I know that's the problem!