Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Sticky tranny and other weird prob.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 PM
JB97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sticky tranny and other weird prob.

I have a 97 auto 4.3 with 94k miles on it. This problem doesnt happen all the time, maybe 3 or 4 times since my mom gave it to me this past summer. The problem is, after I have hit 2nd gear or higher, it will somtimes stick in the higher gear causing the engine light to come on the dash. Coming of a stop will take a while since it is in a higher gear. It will shift back down after I hit the gear it was stuck in. I looked on AllData and read a service bulletin about this, but my vehicle is notlisted and the problemis exactly the same.They said the causemight be loss of power in the tranny solenoid fuseorbetween that and the ingition switch. I dont have any after market assecories installed in the vehicle. I havent checked it out yet but just felt like posting it on a forum just for blazers.

I also have another weird problem which occurs in the winter.When temperatures drop below 30 the interior lights turn on, draining the batter power, sometimes not being able to start it. I didnt check exactly what light turn on, but I do know for a fact that the lights under the rear view turn on. I have NO clue what can be causing this and did not find a recall or a bulletin about this.

thanks for the help

Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
JB97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sticky tranny and other weird prob.

This problem has just happened TWICE again today and ate about 1/2 tank of gas. When this problem occurs I now have to use 2nd gear to take off of astop because it will NOT shift down into 1st gear. When I do shift down intofirst the engine makes odd sounds that I cant really explain, gurgling + windingcoming from thetranny it sounds like. IfI try and take off from a stopin1st, it does the same as when I would put it in drive.The transmission is sticking in 3rd gear, and im pretty sure of this. I pulled out my tranny dipstick today several times and have had a couple of different readings. The ATF looks and smells fine, pinkish redish and expands on a rag. BUT the fluid comes out looking bubbly sometimes. I checed it at the same engine temp, and one time it will be WAY over the HOT line (2 inches over), and as I just pulled it out now it looked like it was a little under hot, so im stumped.... It may be too much ATF, do you guys think thats the problem?
I might flush the tranny tomorrow, would I need a filter for the tranny ifI do this?
Please help!

thanks
j

Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Sticky tranny and other weird prob.

On a pre-'93 tranny the problem would be a sticking governor. On a post '93 tranny it may be a sticking solenoid. Take it to a shop and have them take a look at it. Tranny diagnostics is really best done during a test drive and testing the pressures while running.

Lights coming on sounds like a short, or the body control modual is acting up.

then again, a short to the tranny could be cuasing your tranny trouble too. your tranny is electronically controlled.