Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

strange squeak from distributor area

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Beginning Member
blazinjay83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default strange squeak from distributor area

I have a 2001 2dr 2wd 4..3l Chevy Blazer, for a couple of weeks now it has been developing a squeak from under the hood. While poking around for awhile it sounded like it was coming from the back of the engine. I happened to place my hand on the distributor cap with a little pressure and the squeaking stopped, only to start again when my hand was removed. What could be my problem ? The truck still runs great with 91,000 miles on it. Could it be just a worn out cap and rotor (there probably the original equipment) , or something more serious ? The squeak is sorta loud... please help. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: strange squeak from distributor area

You could try changing the cap and rotor to see if that would help. After 91k miles, they are probably pretty carbon fouled inside, but if you are not experiencing any performance problems, I do not know if this would help. Maybe remove the cap and have a look at the posts inside. You may see the problem.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member

Ya, thats what I'm going to try first, hopefully that takes care of it. All I got to do is remove the 2 screws that hold the cap on and remove the rotor, right ? Anything I should be aware of before doing this ? The rotor has to go back in the very same spot, right ? [sm=shades.gif]

Old 09-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to be careful not to drop the screws as they are quite small. And yes, you have to get everything back on in the same orientation.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member

thanks, hopefully that takes care of my problem.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:09 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do need to change the cap and rotor don't buy the cheap ones. Go with a delco cap and rotor they were only a couple bucks more than the cheapies.