Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

stuck in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member
john96blazerLT is on a distinguished road
Default stuck in 4x4

hi , i have a little problem, and i dont know alot about 4x4. So I thought my truck was all wheel drive or somthing because thear is no button for shifting into 4x4, but all the whees have drive, and when i turn sharp the truck jumps , like a 4x4. Is there somthing that i am missing , how woud i get it back in 2x4.

thanks , any help would be great, john

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It was an option to get AWD in the Blazer in 96. So it is quite possible that you do have an AWD truck. If your truck is AWD, then it sounds like your viscous clutch inside the transfer case (BW4472) is bad. It should not crab walk on you.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member
john96blazerLT is on a distinguished road

i went to chevy and gave the guy at the counter my vin and he said that my truck cant be awd he dident find any info on awd for this year, what he said to me is (your truck is 4x4 somebody must have taken out the switch and it is stuck in 4x4, bring it in the shop and we will drop it into 2x4 ) i dont know alot about this but i know when somebody wants my money. so i am going to trust what you say because, i think you know blazers more then some guy at chevy. so with that said, do you think that if the oil level is low in the transfer case, it could cause this problem

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would not hurt to check the level or even change the fluid (Dexron 3 ATF or newer alternatives), but the viscous clutch controls the distribution of torque and the slip that can occur when turning/etc.

You can check the model of your transfer case by locating the identification tag on the back of the unit.